• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Considering verizon, and the droid razr maxx...

Team420

Aug 14, 2011
Maine, USA
Like the title says... I'm thinking about the droid razr maxx on verizon. My reason is..
Where I live here in Maine... there is very little sprint 3g coverage. I'm roaming prolly half the time, and roaming data speeds suck! Even sprint 3g data speeds are not all that great. also... I drop just as many calls with full signal on the sprint network as I do when roaming.
I like the unlimited data I get with sprint, but I rarely use more than 2gb/mo and the most I ever used was 5gb in 1 month. Verizon is gonna charge me the same amount I pay now for the same amount of minutes, 10gb data, and no txt messaging (I use google voice anyway), and I will no longer roam...
Every one I know around here that has verizon loves it, and I've seen 1st hand when I'm roaming and do a speed test, I max out at 128kbps, they get 1mbps +/-... Huge difference when you travel, and sell websites for a living, and need the speed...

The other reason I'm looking to verizon is... I just dont see any great phones coming from sprint... The droid razr maxx boasts a 33mah battery, and up to 21.5 hrs talk time... thats about 3x what my evo gets, and I'm rooted!! wonder what the maxx will get after I root it??

Anyway... what Im really looking for is anyone with personal experience with verizon to chime in on things like customer service, network reliability etc... Anything you might think of that would refrain me from switching... I've had a pretty good go with sprint for 4 or 5 years now, and find their customer service outstanding.... just the network itself that isnt all that great, and certainly not reliable.

I switched from Sprint to Verizon 7 months ago, and i couldn't be happier. where i used to get crappy 3g on Sprint, i now get 4g and it is pretty much like having a constant wifi connection. customer service has been great as well. If i were you though, i would wait a month for the galaxy s3. It should also have great battery life (though not quite as good as the maxx,) but everything else will be much better.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies!

Ya, I think I'm gonna just do it... Not interested in the galaxy s3, I had the samsung moment, and intercept(?) and honestly... I cant believe sprint or samsung would ship those phones the way they did... Junk as far as I'm concerned.... So, Im all done with samsung products for a while!

Upvote 0
You'll love VZW after being on Sprint. Everyone I've known that had Sprint and went to big red never went back. They said it was like night and day.

The Razr Maxx... My wife got one last week. She is not a techie like me, but is disappointed with it. The battery life is awesome and at the same time, seems to cast a shadow on everything else. The plain Moto interface, experience. The phone just feels cheap. This week, the battery started draining really fast so we're just taking it back. She is going to preorder the S3 and give it a shot.

To each their own, but moto phones seem to make it hard to spend an intimate 2yrs with them. To me, they get boring REALLY fast.

Just my $.02...

Upvote 0
If you can wait (please, no more waiting on the right phone discussions) the Droid Razr HD should be out in the next couple/few months. Nearly the same phone as the Razr Maxx (including that BIG battery) but with a HD screen, 13Mp camera (rumored). Right now it's known as the Droid Fighter. Check out it's sub forum here at AF. Be sure to swing by the Razr Maxx sub forum also. It's root/ROM section seems a little thin to me, but I'm sure it's a great phone. My Moto Droid X is still strong as it approaches two years old next month.

Also, if your friends have good service with Verizon in your area, the switch is a no brainer. I've been with them for about 10 years. Maybe had 2 dropped calls in that time period. Really!

Upvote 0
Thanks guys!!

No waiting for me! I made the switch yesterday and all I can say is WOW!! The difference is night and day... The phone itself really dosent seem any better than my evo (aside from the rediculous battery life.. Took off charger 15hrs ago, and still at 80%) But the network is 100x times better... I now get full 3g signal in places my evo had no signal at all, or was a crappy unreliable roaming signal... The only thing that worries me is the 5gb/mo data plan... I never went over 4 with sprint, but it was mighty hard to considering how slow their network was, so I'll have to keep an eye on my data use. Other than that... I'm pretty stoked, and cant wait to get this thing rooted, and all the vzw bloat gone!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones