• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Constant "Download Unsuccessful"

brykins

Android Enthusiast
Nov 17, 2009
Peterborough, UK
Son's Pulse has been downloading apps (both paid and free) okay up till now. Today it's decided that everything we try and download (and that is everything) will just report that it's starting, then "download unsuccessful". Of course, there's no error message, or reason why it's failed.

Stock T-Mobile Pulse, no rooting, unlocking or anything. Nothing updated, system-wise, today that would cause it.

Have powered down and back on.
Have powered down, battery out, back in, back on.
Have done above plus removed and replaced SIM.
Have cleared market cache.
Have cleared cache, powered off and back on.
Have logged into Google Talk, back out and back in again.

We really don't want to have to hard reset again (already done that trying to solve the "no voice or text connection when using 3G issue") because it means re-setting up the entire phone again - icons, wallpapers, etc, etc, etc.

Any suggestions?

Hate to ask such a silly question, but is there any chance you've used all of your storage space?

Nope - I wondered about that, so I uninstalled about 10MB of rubbish that he had. Made no difference.

Follow up:

Funny thing - apps that there were updates for tried to download, failed, then showed in My Downloads simply as "Free" instead of "Installed" or "Update available".

Last resort - wiped phone. (Great - now he has to go through all the rigmarole of setting up his icons, widgets, etc all over again).

Now working. Sort of - My Downloads showed (for the first three times) all his previous installed apps. Great! I re-installed Facebook and the two paid apps he has. Now the My Downloads ONLY shows these ones - no idea what apps he had installed before, and luckily the two paid ones were already re-installed.

What a damn mess. I am fairly IT literate and patient with phones. What's Joe-Public meant to do when this shite happens?

Upvote 0
After going through a lot of posts and replies, I found someone stating that he had it in one time zone and not in the other, which made me think it might have something to do with clock mismatch between the phone and the Google servers. I checked my clock which was an hour ahead of time, despite being on automatic reading from network. But to my big surprise the date was set to January 3, 2005! Okay, after hard resetting that is. But then I set the time manually, adjusted the date and... everything works again! Downloading/installing apps, synchronizing, even with all mobile internet turned off and relying only on my WIFI. I sure hope it lasts, and that this may solve the problem for others.

Reactions: wildetudor
Upvote 0
I am having the same problem on the HTC Magic.

I have also tried the suggestions listed:
(Have powered down and back on.
Have powered down, battery out, back in, back on.
Have done above plus removed and replaced SIM.
Have cleared market cache.
Have cleared cache, powered off and back on.
Have logged into Google Talk, back out and back in again.)

And also, I have checked the time zone and date, which are correct.

I did install, try, and then uninstall Dolphin shortly before this, without ever setting it to be the default browser.

I am desperate to avoid a hard reset - it took me hours of faffing about to get all the settings right.

Any other suggestions out there?

Upvote 0
I dont know if this will help but sometimes when I want to download nothing happens so then I log in and out of gtalk and it then decides to work.

Nope - tried that. Tried every answer we could find on every forum including changing auto time/date update, logging out and in to Gtalk, clearing cache, rebooting, etc. Ended up having to hard reset AGAIN.

Upvote 0
I had this problem and ended up calling sprint and reset my phone to what it was like out of the box. Did you install any new software prior to this happening. I can almost bet that what it is.

It's my son's phone, so not sure if he installed something. Would be nice if the error message was more than "download unsuccessful". Imagine if Windows failed to boot and the only log was "Boot Failed". How is anyone supposed to work out what the problem might be from "download unsuccessful"?

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem with my Nexus One. I have narrowed it down to the sync data from my gmail account. All other gmail accounts work fine, but mine refuses to allow me to download any app. This is after several hard resets. The Nexus One help line does nothing except recommend you get a new email. Sure, and how about I move while I am at it too, since they both are so easy to do.

Upvote 0
Try this:

Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Market Updater, and select Clear Data. I had a similar problem about a month ago, and that solved it.

Let us know if that does it for you.

That didn't work for me as I don't have a Market Updater. I did try Market and clearing the cache, this didn't help.

Then I tried Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > Download Manager, and selected Clear Data.

This sorted the problem out :) Must have been a partially downloaded file that was breaking things eh?

Upvote 0
Sorry for coming with an old thread, but im having the same problem here.... in market update, i have the "clear data" button greyed out... so, i cannot download anything from market,... neither enter gtalk!! it seems to open and immediately closes..... gmail works fine, though... any suggestions?

Upvote 0
How to fix Samsung Galaxy S Unsuccessful Android Market Download and System Restore Issue

try those steps, I was having this exact problem on my new epic, my first time on an android phone and that's what fixed it for me. I kept hard resetting and entering my info, and it would work for a while then stop until I cleared those specific caches.

I've had a gmail account for a long time but I never use gtalk, I don't know if that's affecting the caching somehow.

Reactions: sbk613
Upvote 0
Hey, been having this problem all week. Found this

tid=25e638654df43123&hl=en"]http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Android+Market/thread?tid=25e638654df43123&hl=en[/URL]

Basically just unmount SD card. This makes sense as i've backed up all my apps to the SD card and restored before all my problems began. Works perfectly now.

Matt.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones