• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Constant insufficient storage problems

ggossamer

Aug 10, 2011
Hi, I have a Galaxy S5 with Sprint and only a few applications installed, but I'm receiving constant messages when trying to install new apps, or even download mail, about insufficient device storage. I'm a relatively technical user, so understand how storage works.

I have a 16GB SD card in addition to the local storage. I've moved every application to the SD card that permits it, yet still unable to install Quora, for example.

What can one do when there's just no available storage?

I've rooted my phone before, but haven't taken it so far as to use it to be able to remove some of the Sprint crap that's installed. Is that one approach to take with the S5?

When I got to "storage settings" it reports there is 5.27GB of "used space" and 5.26GB "cached data" and only 445MB of "available space". Have I just reached the limit of what the device holds and the number of apps that can be installed?

Hi

Sounds like you need to clear the cached data. I use an app called "History Eraser" to do this when needed (be sure to unselect call logs, sms etc) but you could go into manage apps and do them one at a time (or just the main offenders).

Normally android manages cached data (which is prefetched data to speed up your applications) but sometimes it doesn't. Deleting cached data wont lose anything but may make some apps slightly slower to start up.

Reactions: ggossamer
Upvote 0
Hi

Sounds like you need to clear the cached data. I use an app called "History Eraser" to do this when needed (be sure to unselect call logs, sms etc) but you could go into manage apps and do them one at a time (or just the main offenders).

Normally android manages cached data (which is prefetched data to speed up your applications) but sometimes it doesn't. Deleting cached data wont lose anything but may make some apps slightly slower to start up.

I did a search for History Erasure and found 3 of them, by 3 different developers.
Which one are you using... I presume you tested the others and found them lacking?

Just trying to gain the benefit of your experience.

Upvote 0
I'm like the OP, I have a ZTE Grand X, and I have four apps that I dl'd to the phone (no games), I've tried to dl several games, and I have 90% available. What apps/programs can I take off, and not make the phone inoperable, and what else can I do to free up space. I usually do settings > storage > then clean/clear data from things that seem ok to clear -
Maps, Hangouts, Google Music (I don't use), Google Newsstand, Books, Movie/TV (don't use), Calendar and Calculator.

(I'm not sure about trying to mess with anything else.)

I've tried to get various games loaded, they all seem to load, then at the very end 'insufficient storage' right before install.
And the games aren't that big, certainly not enough to take over 172.MB or so (I just gained another percent by clearing data.

Can someone help?

Upvote 0
I'm like the OP, I have a ZTE Grand X, and I have four apps that I dl'd to the phone (no games), I've tried to dl several games, and I have 90% available. What apps/programs can I take off, and not make the phone inoperable, and what else can I do to free up space. I usually do settings > storage > then clean/clear data from things that seem ok to clear -
Maps, Hangouts, Google Music (I don't use), Google Newsstand, Books, Movie/TV (don't use), Calendar and Calculator.

(I'm not sure about trying to mess with anything else.)

I've tried to get various games loaded, they all seem to load, then at the very end 'insufficient storage' right before install.
And the games aren't that big, certainly not enough to take over 172.MB or so (I just gained another percent by clearing data.

Can someone help?

Go to settings>applications and disable any app that you don't use that shouldn't have problems with making the phone work. Maps, Hangouts, Google Music, Newsstand, Books, Movie. They can be disabled (and can't be used anymore or will update anymore). This will uninstall updates and free up space. Also the phone has a hardcoded limitation on how much space should be alloted free. You can;t get around this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones