• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help CONSTANT Restarting, failure to boot.

Hi all,

I have a branded Desire, with Telstra software. I'm not sure if location makes a difference, but I am in Australia.

These last few months have seen my desire constantly rebooting itself. This occurs 2-3 times a day without fail.

It not only restarts itself, but takes a good 10-15 minutes to fully boot - constantly 're-rebooting'.

I have removed ALL after-market applications, removed all data from the memory card, so it's back to how it was straight out the box (with the exception of user data - contacts, messages etc.).

I don't feel comfortable with debranding / rooting the phone. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing the restarts, and a possible way around it?

There is no definitive process or application involved in the restarts, it is entirely random.

In case it helps, the software details are:

Firmware version
2.1-update1

Baseband version
32.30.00.28U_4.05.00.11

Kernel version
2.6.29-3cb3dfbf

Build number
1.16.841.1 CL171554 release-keys

Software number 1.16.841.1

Browser version
WebKit 3.1

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you in anticipation,
Dave.

- HTC Desire.

I've got the same issue too. I get random restarts especially when the phone feels hot. Everytime when that happens, i would have to do a soft reset. It takes several attempts to actually get the phone to start booting. Most of the time it just restarts a few times and finally gets stucked at the htc boot screen. :(

Upvote 0
Yea very similar to what's gone on my end.

Have just today sent it to the repair centre - I guess in another fortnight we'll find out what the techs say! Had another 3 handsets come in to the store (Telstra shop) with a similar fault. Presumably different batches of phones as the purchasing dates span over months.

Will post tech's findings on here when they come thru.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I got the phone back from the technicians today.

They didn't say whether they could verify the fault on their end or not.

All that was said was "Received unit. Replaced software. Checked, aligned and cleaned contacts. Reset to manufacturers specifications. Air tested OK."

Thinking I may have simply screwed up the original software somehow by constant app downloading/installing/uninstalling, I was pretty chuffed to have a fresh software set and to have my phone back.

No more than 5 minutes went by and the problfems were back again - switching off and restarting, twice in rapid succession.

Have now sent back to the repair centre for the second time, and have requested a new handset!

Upvote 0
ya, i totally agreed with you , this is such developer failure, that is why i dont buy android phone. let imagine goggle, android,motorola ,htc and minor developer join together developing a product. some might be in htc develop, the developer tested k, before post out for sale, but the things is after merge with another company software, there will be compatible issue, that make the software no stable, even some case you updated to froyo 2.2 version. that is why so many problem

for us overseas where there is no Htc service centre likes in Brunei, and just buy on normal retail oulet,

this is actually very inconvience for us, after factory reset also useless, and update to froyo ,if possible 2.2, alos got some many bugs

Customer 3 set same issue, many more to come

others Question if we send to overseas Htc Service Centre, have to be charge, even thought it mostly likes is hardware problem, the manufacturer set problem, likes Htc

Who should we look, very dissapointed

next time, iwill think twice before buy android phnoe,cos of 1st impress not good de,1st issue is motorola milestone, email problem and now this

updated also useless!!!!!!!!11

Customer 3 set oledi same problem and maybe more coming

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones