• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Constant Slow Mobile Data?

MacFett

Android Expert
Mar 28, 2011
Sietch Tabr
I just got off the phone with Virgin and told them about the display always being 3G and never showing 1G despite the mobile network type in system -> about phone -> status. They re-provisioned my Elite and no change.

The operator was sending it to the engineers and had a supervisor with her. I told her that there was a number of others with slow connections. I made the suggestion of us getting each other's names and numbers and calling VMU with the list so they can see it isn't a location issue. To do this they would need permission from each of us to check our accounts and stuff.

So if you have poor mobile speeds check your network type if it is always 1x RTT call VMU, complain and then if we get a list of people with the issue and share it maybe they'll figure out something.

MacFett, I am also in. Despite Sprint having good coverage in my area, I have slow data service all over town, thus it certainly is not a location issue.

My signal strength is always in the high 90s, my MNT is CDMA-1xRTT, average ping is about 900ms, download speed is about 120kbps and upload speed is about 150kbps.

I have been talking to VM for the past week and after going through the motions (resetting phone, taking battery out, reset network and other BS) and spending nearly 4 hours (including wait time) with them on the phone, they finally decided to send me a replacement phone. I will be getting the phone today and considering that it is going to be refurbished and what others have experienced with these replacement phones, I am not holding my hopes high. My previous phone the OV was much faster.

I think approaching them as a group is a great idea.

Upvote 0
Got your info Curtis, good to have you on board elhamda (except that being on board means your device is not working properly) and kwknott.

One piece of info I'd like to get is if you are on a grandfathered plan or not. I know Curtis had his Elite on a non-grandfathered plan. I myself am on grandfathered.

Someone reported some time ago that VMU's engineers said the Elite was not compatible with the grandfathered plan. I would buy into that except that Curtis had the problems even after being on a current plan. The grandfathered info I would not pass along to VMU. It is just to satisfy my own curiousity.

Upvote 0
Kwknot, was your account ever on one of the old plans or has it always been the new rates?

I am wondering if this has something to do with grandfathered accounts. Just having been a gf'd account even if not currently on a gf'd plan.

Yes when I was on Optimus V I had grandfather plan but they forced an upgrade when I got Elite..

I have been tempted to cancel current account and start new one to see if it would help

Upvote 0
So if you have poor mobile speeds check your network type if it is always 1x RTT call VMU, complain and then if we get a list of people with the issue and share it maybe they'll figure out something.

Why is 1x RTT an issue? I'm not sure if it means that your data service is working on 1X vs 3G. According to this article, 1x RTT is a system within the 3G network, although a slow one. My question is, aren't all Elites running on 1x RTT? I want to have a better understanding of this before I bring it up to VMU's attention.

Upvote 0
The Elite's are 3g phones but where 3g isn't avaliable or for whatever other reason they can switch to 1x which is a lot slower speed.

It appears the Elite has an issue holding onto 3g and wants to run at the slower 1x speed.

And unlike other phones that have a 1x statusbar icon the Elite always displays 3g icon even when it's on 1x network

Reactions: elhamda
Upvote 0
I downloaded Status Bar 2G/3G Lite today, at the suggestion of another member. It shows 3G when on 3G and 2G when on anything else. This is much easier than checking About Phone all the time.

CDMA2000 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The 1X standard supports packet data speeds of up to 153 kbit/s with real world data transmission averaging 80

Upvote 0
My refurbished Elite (no retail packaging - just a phone and no battery) arrived today. Kudos to VMU for getting it to me in less than 24 hours. So far so good, I am getting pings of about 180ms and upload/download speeds of about 350-550. These are major improvements over the original phone. The Mobile Network type seems to vacillate between EvDo and 1xRTT, but I think that has to do with my location. I still have to check it in other areas to see how it performs. If I don't encounter any problems over the next week, then I will keep it and hopefully that'll be the end of it.

Upvote 0
I had this same issue a few times, and what worked for me was simply reactivating the phone by running the Activate app. I just run it, activate it, reboot, and it works just fine after that. I never needed to go to the website at all, and I am still on my $25 grandfathered plan.

I didn't see that mentioned in this topic, so I thought I'd bring it up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones