• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contact birthdays

cdstour

Lurker
Sep 10, 2009
The Gmail address book on the Web contains a field for birthdays, so why not the Android address book? While I'm sure the app could undergo a lot of changes (and everyone would have different ideas) something as basic as a birthday seems obvious. Any idea why it is omitted?

My phone is running CM-4.0.4 it doesn't have Birthday in the default contacts either. An option would be to create a calendar in Google Calendars of your contact's birthdates.

This can be done by clicking Add in the Other Calendars area. Select Browse Interesting Calendars. After Holiday and Sports, click More. To the right of Contacts' Birthdays and Events click Subscribe.

Voila. You now have a color coded calendar for birthdates.

Consider it a workaround.

Reactions: Member118793
Upvote 0
My phone is running CM-4.0.4 it doesn't have Birthday in the default contacts either. An option would be to create a calendar in Google Calendars of your contact's birthdates.

This can be done by clicking Add in the Other Calendars area. Select Browse Interesting Calendars. After Holiday and Sports, click More. To the right of Contacts' Birthdays and Events click Subscribe.

I saw this released a few days ago but forgot about it. Thank you. Great tool and not a work around at all IMHO.

Upvote 0
I very much agree, it's quite sad (to be polite) that the Android address book is so, um, limited compared to GMail. No birthdays, no anniversaries -- not even groups! I struggle to find my family among the few hundred contacts I have.

Off topic reply - I agree the standard app is poor for finding people easily. I have tried a few others but reverted back to the standard and am very selective with my star tab. That seems to work pretty well.

Upvote 0

Great! Thanks for the tip :)

Upvote 0
I very much agree, it's quite sad (to be polite) that the Android address book is so, um, limited compared to GMail. No birthdays, no anniversaries -- not even groups! I struggle to find my family among the few hundred contacts I have.

Groups can be found by hitting the menu button when in the contacts program. There is an option to "Display Group." The problem is the inability to edit these groups from the device. I'm sure that both this and the birthday issue are popular complaints and will hopefully be resolved quickly.

PS I do think that the aContacts app does allow the editing of contact groups from the device.

Upvote 0
I followed advice and added a new calendar for birthdays and events and all was smooth sailing except for one stubborn family member whose birthday will appear just fine on the Google calendar but refuses to appear on my phone. I even manually entered it and it won't show up on the agenda. Crazy! Too bad the Droid can't get the same pretty background that Google calendars can get. That would be nice too. Just dreaming...:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones