1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Contact list (people) not showing on call or sms

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rollyah, Sep 1, 2011.

1. rollyah

rollyah Lurker
    None

Sep 1, 2011
    Dear all,
    i have an htc desire s.
    i have a contact list of about 200 ppl which i moved to android by the help of gmail sync as such:
    1. exported from apples adress book.
    2. imported to gmail
    3. synced with gmail.

since then, i encounter the following prob:
    1. the names of some ppl smsing me wont show. just their num (as if i dont have them saved in my contact list)
    2. the names of some ppl dont show on caller ID (as if i dont have them saved in my contact list)

both cases those ppl are different. theyre never identical.
    any idea why is that happening?

Advertisement

2. james515

james515 Well-Known Member
    None

May 6, 2011
    Communications
    Houston
    its a problem a lot of people are having. download a FREE SMS app like Handscent from the Market and it will fix your problems as long as you use it instead of the stock app

James

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    No it doesnt. For some reason this happened to me this morning too, at least in my case only one person wasnt showing up. I have both GO SMS and Handcent and they wont show him as well. The only fix I was able to do was to delete and re-enter his data. Anybody got tips on this to avoid it happening again?

4. Bukkithead

Bukkithead Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    I don't know why, but all I did was shut down the phone, remove the battery, wait a minute, replace the battery and turn the phone back on. Once the phone had started up again it updated the Messages conversations with the correct contact info.

I am still using the default Message handler.

5. molibdimum

molibdimum Member
    None

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi guys.
    My Desire S is doing this also and its very frustrating.
    Took the battery out for a min like Bukkithead suggested and the names come back but you cant be expected to do this every time.

6. madmonk

madmonk Member
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Just got my S, and I have same problem. However, I suspect the problem is to do with having more than one contact subfile for same person. This can happen when importing gmail contacts, if contacts are not properly deleted to start with. The phone recognises that there are two (or more) contacts within the phone for the number that is sent via SMS, but does not bother to check whether they have the same Name. So it provides the number rather than the name, for what it [the phone] thinks is easier for us to check.

Solution, I think, is to make sure that you delete all multiple entries. They make not even show up as multiple, until you go into edit contact and uncheck 'link'.

And remember to delete from gmail account too, or problem will just re-occur when syncing next.

Mudrat likes this.
Tags: