1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Contact Name Cut Off (Can't See Contact Name)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cdf3, Mar 2, 2011.

1. cdf3

cdf3 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    Is there a way to have the Droid Incredible display more than 15 characters or so of a person's name?

I have contacts that have names longer that 15 characters, and it's always cut off. I can see their first name, followed by a few a letters of their last name. The rest of their name would not show.
    If I happen to enter a couple as a contact, for instance Mr. & Mrs. John & Jane Doe, I'm unable to see their last name at all.

This is so frustrating. Everyone phone I've had has been able to show their full name except for this one.
    I guess it's made to enter people with short names.

Advertisement

2. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    After checking.. my longest contact, first and last name combined, is 23 characters which easily displays leaving room for a much longer name. Perhaps you might adjust your font size if you only see 15 characters.

3. cdf3

cdf3 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2010

I'm seeing close to 23 as well before opening up to view the contact. Once I view the contact it shows about 15 characters. Its fine for entering contact info for one person. I have clients that are married and share the same contact info. On my previous phone, and even in my online Gmail account, I would enter the husband & wife first name in the First Name field, and their last name in the Last Name field. I'm no only able to see their first names, not their last.
    Last name would get cut off.

4. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    I guess I"m missing your point. If you see the entire name displayed easily prior to opening up the contact.. you KNOW who the contact is when you open it up.. right? or am I missing something? The only reason you open up the contact is to make a call, txt, email.. etc... or to edit that contact information. YOU do know who you have opened up... I am clearly missing your problem.. I"m sorry.

My only thought about using two first names and a last name for a contact.. and when you open it up it cuts off the last name.. is to enter each contact separately.
    Mary and Bob Whatever with contact info would become (Contact 1) Mary Whatever
    with all the info and (contact 2) Bob Whatever with the same contact info. Either contact, being as they share the same info will reach either of them... and perhaps fix your listing display once each contact is opened.

I hope you can get them displayed to your desires.

5. cdf3

cdf3 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 6, 2010
    I thought about doing two separate contacts and merging them together.
    I'll have to decide if I want to go through the pain stacking process of doing it. I have over 500 clients that I've entered that way from my previous phone.

One of the main issues with the list getting truncated is for business listings.
    I have one particular business that has about 15 branches in my area. Their name is rather long. I put the city/town of each branch at the end of their name. So if I type in their name to make a call, I would be able to easily open the correct branch. I do have the city/town listed in the address of each one. With the name being cut off, I have to go through and open up each one until I find the correct one. If the name wasn't cut off, I could easily bypass that.
    I've found an app that I now use in place of the default contact search for Android. I'm now using Aurora. I can now type in a few letters of the business name, then start typing in the last name or other name I have related to that contact to quickly filter to the one I'm searching for.
    I still can't believe that Google won't allow us to search for contacts the way we're capable of doing from our PC Gmail account. On my PC I can type in a few letters of the first name, then a few letters of the last name to quickly pull up a contact. With Android, if I have 15 contacts named John, I have to type out John in it's entirety before I can begin to type in the last name to filter out the rest.

6. olbriar

olbriar  

Jun 19, 2010
    Male
    Land of Oz
    You can view your contacts first name first or last name first. I use the last name first which eliminates the 15 Johns you speak of. I'm not saying this will solve your problem but makes contacts easier to find.. at least for me. You can also create groups and put related contacts within that group... making them easier/faster to access. The contacts still show up in the all contact list but also show up in the smaller sub list or group. I have two businesses and have a number of contacts related to each. I created a group for each which narrows my search as well as quickens the process of finding a particular contact.
    I'm glad you found a third party app that is more to your liking. That's the beauty of the htc phones.. they have lots of third party apps written just to make things easier for special needs.