1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Contact numbers instead of names on texts

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dawn Connor, Nov 11, 2019.

1. Dawn Connor

Dawn Connor Lurker

Contact numbers are showing up instead of names on some of my texts. It was fine and all of a sudden some aren't showing up and I haven't changed anything that I know. I have restarted and checked allowance and it is all ok. I have scanned several sites to find an answer but to no avail.

2. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

Use a different messaging app that will only save and show contacts with phone numbers, such as textra

3. laumcinn

laumcinn Lurker

4. laumcinn

laumcinn Lurker

5. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Are the texts with the numbers part of a group text? Are there iPhones in the group? BTW, what is your default messaging app?

Dannydet likes this.
  6. Dawn Connor

Dawn Connor Lurker

The texts are just single texts. Some Iphones and some Android. It's only a hand full of contacts.
    My default app is the Messages on my Pixel. I started using Textra today and so far I like it but when I started a chat today with a contact I put her name in and said not found but I scrolled through my texts and found her and her name is on there. IDK. It's driving me crazy. lol

7. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Who is your carrier? It seems like I have been seeing this issue come up alot lately in this and other forums.

Also, have you resynced your contacts list? Are your permissions all set correctly for your texting app?

8. Dawn Connor

Dawn Connor Lurker

Verizon is the carrier. And I can't find how to sync. I just sent a text to a contact and when he replied it came back in a new text. I am not that tech saavy so I'm unsure of what to do next.

9. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

The first thing I'd do is determine if the contacts are Google contacts or phone contacts. The easiest way to check that is to login to gmail on a PC and then go check the contacts to see if the ones that don't display properly are there.

Google Pixel 2 XL Forum

The Google Pixel 2 XL release date was October 2017. Features and Specs include a 6.0" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Snapdragon 835 processor, and 3520mAh battery.

October 2017
Release Date
Reviews