• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Contact pictures not showing in HTC Messages app

1 - Go to the market and download a terminal emulator (there are several free ones)

2 - Open the terminal emulator and type the following:

su
chmod 666 /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/files/*

This changes the permissions on the contacts folder. I had this problem after rooting and messing around with Titanium Backup and this solved it.

Thank you so much!
This totally worked on my EVO after I "fixed permissions" in recovery node with ROM Manager's Recovery...
After a reboot, I've my contact pictures back in my stock messaging app.

Upvote 0
This was the only forum that had any sort of answer for this problem but i've tried the terminal solution several times and it's still not working. Is there anyone else who this isn't fixing it for or am I doing something wrong?

Is it your phone number that shows in settings? Also, do you have a contact created for yourself?

Upvote 0
Well my phone isn't even rooted I literally just got it in the mail to replace my broken one and started it up set my pics to the contacts and they show everywhere else but it has the problem with no contact pics showing in the messages

I'm in the exact same situation as you. Got a "like new" replacement for my Incredible 2 and it's not showing the contact pictures in the Inbox. It does however show the picture in the individual thread?! I tried the emulator but got the "Permission denied" and "not found" messages, even after I rebooted.

Any other suggestions out there??

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones