• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contact Pictures?

Is there any way to store a higher resolution picture through google contacts instead of just through the phone? it would be nice to have the decent res pic stored on the account so it can auto sync to other devices, etc.

I'm thinking there isn't but I just thought I'd ask. The pictures I can see when I pull up the contact through gmail on the web with my pc are also very low res. Hope they can allow just slightly larger pics now that they have all these large screen phones out there

Upvote 0
I don't think there is. I tried changing the photo using the web based contact manager using both a photo from my computer, and one from Picassa Web Albums. In both cases the picture came through as low res on my phone.

Right, this is the problem I have. I set up all of my contacts on my PC, with decent quality pics. Seems Gmail squashes em right down.

Upvote 0
OK, now worked out that I need to edit each contact pic to select a snap from Gallery ONLY: Anyone know what the proportions are that Android/People uses for the what shows up when the punter 'phones up?? (My wife will be most upset if she sees herself cropped ..)

PS Old British Navy toast, still popular: "To our wives and girlfriends: May they never meet"...

Happy new year everyone...

Upvote 0
I used to go through and do individual photos on contacts but it was a hassle. Have you tried HaxSync in the market? It produces beautiful pics and shows off what your phone can do.

I was really reluctant to use any third party syncing but, finally, I gave it a shot and I am sooooo glad that I did.

Give it a shot. All you have to do is remove it if you don't like it (I'd bet you don't remove it though). One warning - it works best if you sync ALL contacts rather than existing then, remove them from your view by going into your contacts, opening the menu by tapping the lower right corner and have it show only the contacts you want to be seen (in my case, my Google contacts).

Works fantastic.

Reactions: suXor
Upvote 0
ckelly33. i also installed HaxSync and paid for it, but i have tried quite hard but cant find it anywhere on my phone, other than in my intalled app list, but i cant access it from there. im not sure if its doing anything at all on its own.... any tips??

Just follow the instructions on the Android Market page. I'd cut and paste but it's blocked at work for me. But the HaxSync program resides only as a sync-able app in Settings -> Accounts and Sync

Upvote 0
Hi guys, I've been searching all over for the answer, but can't find it.

My contact pictures look like crap on the people app, especially when their info comes up or when I get a call.

Does anyone know what kind of pics will work on this? How can I make photos be the right resolution?

TIA.

FYI, I've always had this problem with all my Android phones and it was mainly because of how Google reduces the image size as a result when you add a picture to a contact it looks great but after a google sync it looks like crap. Fortunately in ICS 4.0 this is no longer an issue.

However, if you had contacts with poor resolution before you may want to redo the image and change it to a high resolution picture. once it syncs again it should all be good. Please note that this only applies to pictures that you uploaded not someone else's G+ or Google talk picture.

Upvote 0
I don't get it. Shouldn't it pull your Google+ people's profile pictures over in their high res glory?

For some reason, even the people who have Google+ profiles are pulling over the low res pictures.

There has to be a fix for this... this is ridiculous.

Not exactly, i think mainly because Google+ was pre ICS, so anyone that created a G+ profile picture was still plauged with the low resolution problem. This problem is fixed only in ICS, the only way around it i think is if you edit your contacts and add your own picture (high quality). Otherwise what you actually get is your contact's picture profile that they uploaded.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
This problem is fixed only in ICS, the only way around it i think is if you edit your contacts and add your own picture (high quality). Otherwise what you actually get is your contact's picture profile that they uploaded.

I don't think that's the case at all, unless you are manually adding the photos from your phone. If you go into Gmail contacts and add the photos there, they still come across in very low resolution. Such a pain.

Upvote 0
I don't think that's the case at all, unless you are manually adding the photos from your phone. If you go into Gmail contacts and add the photos there, they still come across in very low resolution. Such a pain.

You may be right, to I've never really tried it from my computer.. I've always done it with my phone.. I'll give it a try when I get home later today.

Upvote 0
I don't get it. Shouldn't it pull your Google+ people's profile pictures over in their high res glory?

For some reason, even the people who have Google+ profiles are pulling over the low res pictures.

There has to be a fix for this... this is ridiculous.

I figured it out. I didn't have the "Sync contacts" option in Google+ checked. Derp.

Works fine now.

Upvote 0
I have been pulling my hair out over this. I can't seem to get high resolution images into my contacts no matter what I do. I have tried with and without syncing, adding manually, nothing seems to work.

Just to try it out, I downloaded a 1200x1200 resolution image of a bottle of brandy, to use for my wife's profile photo. Without syncing to Google, I saved the image, imported it to my contact at full size, and saved the contact. Instantly, it is blurred. I look at it in the gallery and it looks amazing.

What gives? What am I doing wrong?

same here - i've used facebook and also my own hi-rez images for my contacts but they come in very low-rez immediately.
im using a razr maxx.

Upvote 0
You aren't doing anything wrong. There are two issues.

1. Contacts pull in people's default Google+ (profile) pic, which for most people is probably low-res. Previously, I think it stored 96x96 images. That's reason 1.

2. Google did improve the resolution of Contact photos recently....BUT, for no good reason they are still limited to 256x256.

From Google:
(http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0.html)
Large photos

Android now supports high resolution photos for contacts. Now, when you push a photo into a contact record, the system processes it into both a 96x96 thumbnail (as it has previously) and a 256x256 "display photo" that's stored in a new file-based photo store (the exact dimensions that the system chooses may vary in the future). You can add a large photo to a contact by putting a large photo in the usual PHOTO column of a data row, which the system will then process into the appropriate thumbnail and display photo records.

If you hate this, and I think you should because google (and our phones) have plenty of storage for higher res pictures...... star the issue in these two bug reports...

Issue 24569 - android - Dreadful contact picture quality after syncing with Gmail - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Issue 3870 - android - Poor quality of contact images - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

Reactions: nycebo and TTOMO
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones