1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Contact sync with google

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by lsutiger, May 6, 2010.

1. lsutiger

lsutiger Active Member

May 4, 2010
    Tell me if I am wrong or if I have a problem with my phone.
    I just bought an HTC Hero. When I add a contact on the phone as a contact of Google, it has not been updating my Google contacts. But when I add a contact to Google, it updates my phone.

Is this the way it is supposed to work?

Advertisement

2. JB in AZ

JB in AZ Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Florida
    I think it takes a little while. When I got my Hero, I had all my contacts transfered from my old phone by the Sprint store. Now, they are all in my Google acct on my computer. I didn't notice how long it took. BTW, I set up a brand new Gmail acct for the phone, so there were no contacts in it before.

3. lsutiger

lsutiger Active Member

May 4, 2010
    Thanx for the quick reply!

I updated this contact several hours ago, but just noted something. I am POSITIVE I added the name, but when I just checked on my phone, the name was not there. I just added the name again.

When you add a contact to google from a call, I get a message that some information will be depricated.

I guess this is what the message means??? Thats not a good thing in my eyes.

4. alanzer

alanzer Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Male
    Student
    Columbia, MO
    I had issues with the contacts Sprint transferred over to my phone when I got it at the store. I actually had to enter all of them in by hand after resetting the phone. Then everything backed up to Google without a problem. It was instant too, I had my gmail open on the computer and refreshed the page and all of a sudden had 150 new contacts.

5. lsutiger

lsutiger Active Member

May 4, 2010
    I let the phone sit overnight and the contact edits updated. But I did run into a problem of having contacts being duplicated when I added new contacts in Gmail, and they were dupicated in gmail contacts and on the phone...???
    I deleted in gmail and it solved the problem, but why did this happen?

6. alanzer

alanzer Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Male
    Student
    Columbia, MO
    I had a few duplicated too... I am not sure why, but I just went into gmail and deleted the duplicated ones.

I had to do a hard reset for another issue I had, and it loaded everything up without any extras when I synced it again.

7. regression

regression Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Male
    Memphis, TN
    If the sync is taking too long for you, you can force it to sync by going to Settings --> Data synchronization --> Google --> hit menu and Sync now.

BTW, nice to see another LSU Tiger on here!

Tags: