• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contact Syncing and Outlook

racerxe24

Oct 29, 2009
Mississippi
I use Outlook at home as my resource for Contacts and Calendar. It is not attached to a corporate Exchange server. I was wondering if there is a way for me to Sync my contacts and calendar without having a corporate account. Or is there some sort of App that will allow me to do this? Any help would be appreciated...

Ya, that is not going to work for me either. This will be my personal phone as I have a business phone provided me at my job. I would like a way to be able to put my contacts and calendar on the device and still have a back up on my PC. And a good many of my contacts do not have an e-mail address. There has got to be a solution to this.... I hope!!!!

Upvote 0
I hope you are right Cats. I also wonder if VZ will be able to port the contacts on my iPhone to the Droid when I get it? Or if I will have to start from scratch. We at least I have a week to dig for some info....
since you have an iphone,try to get ahead of the process and get a google account(if you don't already have one) and try to set up a sync with your gmail account.

Upvote 0
I have a gmail account, do I need more? Since this will be my first foray into Android I am not well versed in all things google. I see where people are saying you have to be invited to get a google voice account. Not sure what that gets you. I need to do more research obviously...
download google sync to your iphone and sync your contacts

Upvote 0
I use Outlook at home as my resource for Contacts and Calendar. It is not attached to a corporate Exchange server. I was wondering if there is a way for me to Sync my contacts and calendar without having a corporate account. Or is there some sort of App that will allow me to do this? Any help would be appreciated...
So did you get an answer to your original question? I want to buy an Android phone and I too want to synch with my Outlook contacts. I need to know that I can synch easily BEFORE I invest in the phone.

Upvote 0

Most phones will support active sync through a USB connection of contacts and calendar if you do not have exchange.

If you want to do it without hooking up your USB cord, I would suggest using Google Sync as someone suggested.

You can download to your computer and your contacts and calendar will upload to gmail and google calendar. Those would be pushed to the Droid.

I use it today on my BB because we do not have BES and it works decent - but not perfect. I imagine it would work better with an Android device.

Upvote 0
Somebody above was asking about Gmail. If you use Gmail and Google Contacts... then you are already all set. One of the first things you have to do when you get an Android phone is log into your Google account. All you have to do is open up "Contacts" on your phone and they will already be in there. Then you open the Gmail app and whatever you see in the web interface of Gmail will show up in that app (as well as all of the contacts and Calendar events). It's pretty slick and easy.

Upvote 0
Google Sync services Just install this program and it will sync your outlook with your gmail account. The droid will also sync with your gmail account. This will act like exchange. If you change a contact on your phone it will be synced with gmail, then gmail will push the changes to outlook and vise a versa.

That link says Calendar Sync. Will it also sync contacts too? or just calendar?

Upvote 0
Google Sync services Just install this program and it will sync your outlook with your gmail account. The droid will also sync with your gmail account. This will act like exchange. If you change a contact on your phone it will be synced with gmail, then gmail will push the changes to outlook and vise a versa.

Jim_1234, are you sure this is a 2-way sync with outlook calendar? Just wanted to make sure before i jump headfirst into android. Also did a quick search and there appears to be a way to export your outlook contact to gmail, but no 2-way contact syncing. Any ideas?
thanks.

Upvote 0
Exporting your Outlook contacts to Gmail is fairly easy. I did this when I bought my G1. You just export your contacts to a comma deliminated file then import that into Gmail. That works.. but it is just a one-way thing obviously. That works if you want to move from Outlook to Gmail and never go back.

The way I have it setup.. I have Gmail collect all my emails from a few different accounts so I have it all in one place. On my phone I use the Gmail app to look at all my emails and delete the ones I don't need etc... then on my PC I use Outlook to pull the emails down from the Gmail servers and store them locally. (But I stopped updating my contacts in Outlook and I don't send emails from there too often - Gmail is now my most current Contact list).

This Google Sync thing sounds cool though.. I didn't know about that. I might have to check that out. But it sounds like it's most for exchange which I don't use at home.

Upvote 0
Yes, the Droid supports 2-way over the air synchonization per Gmail accounts. That means you have to setup you Oulook connector on your PC. Before Google servers will sync with it. Same thing with your Droid, after setup it will sync with the Google servers. The only caveat is the contacts have to be associated with the Google connector email address. Unless your current email address on Outlook is a gmail account, your current contacts will not be associated with that email address.

Sounds bad, but infact all you have to do is copy all your contacts from your current email address book to the new gmail email address book.

Upvote 0
Jim_1234, are you sure this is a 2-way sync with outlook calendar? Just wanted to make sure before i jump headfirst into android. Also did a quick search and there appears to be a way to export your outlook contact to gmail, but no 2-way contact syncing. Any ideas?
thanks.

I'm sure this has been around for quite awhile. You can install it and test it before you get your droid.

Just set up a gmail account and then download the google sync program. Your computer will ask for your gmail account info and then it will sync with gmail. Then change something in gmail and about a hour later it will be changed in outlook.

Upvote 0
thanks.

I have this running for my BB now and it works fine. It works both ways.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones