1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Contacts/Address Book issue - SOLVED

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by George Miller, Aug 8, 2016.

1. George Miller

George Miller Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2016
    Male
    New to this formum. Did not find an Active Forum, so posting to the generic S7 one.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 Active on AT&T running Android version 6.01
    added a 32 GB SD card.

Currently the contact/address book only lets me add (for a new contact):
    1)Name
    2)Phone number
    3)Email address

On the contacts that I had in my old phone (an LG from 4 years ago) I can click on Edit and have a multitude of additional fields to use. (only used that phone for a little while, then had to go back to old flip phone).

I did notice that the contacts that were transferred over show up as on the Device, where as the new contacts I input show up as on SIM card (after I click on Edit it shows Device or SIM card).

Is there any way I can have all the contacts to be able to add as many additional fields as I need to?
    Do they need to be 'moved' back to the device itself (if so, kind of defeats backing up to SIM card)?

This is the first Smart phone I have had (only used the LG for a bit). I'm coming from an old flip phone - so Smart phones are new to me and I am not very familiar with it yet - but I want to be.

I just need to be able to utilize the contacts/address book as I would like - tracking email addresses, mailing addresses, multiple phone numbers, etc.

Thank you for helping me out!

Advertisement

#1 George Miller, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    That's because you're saving it to SIM card. SIM cards can only handle that much info since there's very small storage in them, typically less than 500kb. Which is also why backing them up to SIM is also useless. They shouldn't even be offering that option anymore. If you want more fields, contacts should be saved either to device or Google. Backup is done via cloud using Samsung's account service (for contacts saved to device) or Google on contacts saved to Google.

3. George Miller

George Miller Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2016
    Male
    Thanks, Chanchan05! That makes sense. Ok, I put an SD card (32 GB) in this phone, can I choose to save to the SD card?

4. makaiguy

makaiguy Member

Feb 25, 2016
    Male
    In Contacts on my S7, when in edit mode, there is a More item at the bottom of the entry that gives access to a ton of additional fields.

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    No. And SD cards are also prone to damage or needing reformat. Just save it to device, and activate Samsung Backup, or set it Google. Your contacts will be automatically backed up.

TanyaMac likes this.
  6. George Miller

George Miller Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2016
    Male
    Thanks for the info!

7. George Miller

George Miller Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2016
    Male
    SOLVED this issue

Samsung Galaxy S7

The Samsung Galaxy S7 was launched in 2016 and was one of two devices in the lineup. The device features a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 2560 x 1440, 4GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 12MP rear camera.