1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Contacts and calendar not syncing

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by crosspatch, Aug 9, 2012.

1. crosspatch

crosspatch Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    I had been wondering why my contacts never synced after I updated them on the Google Contacts site. I went into menu > Settings > Accounts > Google, and found that the contacts had not synced since 4/30/2012. I noticed this on 8/8/2012, meaning over 3 months had passed!

When I tapped "Sync Contacts", it worked fine. The circular "sync" icon appeared in the status area, and my contacts got as screwed up as I expected they would now that the site and my phone have gotten so out of sync.

I haven't frozen or removed "Contacts Sync" or anything...

Any ideas as to why they're not syncing automatically?

Advertisement

2. jpark

jpark Active Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Is your phone set to sync automatically?

Settings:Battery & data manager:data delivery
    Insure that Background data and Data enabled is checked
    :Email and corporate sync:Email delivery
    Is Data push selected (it should be for Google)

3. crosspatch

Mar 17, 2012
    Thanks. BG data is enabled, mobile data is sometimes enabled (i.e. when WiFi isn't in use), but I get a force close when I try going into "email and corporate sync". Probably something I froze... But I didn't start freezing apps until well after 4/30...

Thanks!

4. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest

Check the TASK MANAGER application,to make sure you don't have an affected application set to close when the screen-on times out.

5. crosspatch

Mar 17, 2012
    Solved the problem... I simply had to re-enable the mysterious "Sync" setting.

I had the "Email" system app frozen, which explains the FC. Defrosted it, no more FC. But the setting I needed was not in "Email and corporate sync" anyway. I had only one email account set up (i.e. there was no "Google" option in there), and it was my own personal email account. I deleted that account, and the "Email and corporate sync" option became grayed out and unavailable.

I used an app (which I already had installed) called Notification Toggle to enable the "Sync" setting. As soon as I did, my contacts and calendar synced. Now, they're still syncing fine.

I looked everywhere in the settings, but I cannot find a corresponding "Sync" setting. It's not the same thing as "Background data", I know that much (I had "Background data" enabled all along). I don't know how "Sync" got disabled, but it was probably some other app I used long ago. (Update: I am pretty sure I used the stock "Power Control" widget to disable sync. After a few months of not caring about it, though, I totally forgot.)

Thanks for the replies.