• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contacts and General Phone are sending me to an iPhone 5

steveo42

Feb 22, 2012
Contacts in the Razr are a joke.... Three different phone books. Then when someone calls you and you miss the call you have like 4 key presses to return the call, unless I'm doing it the wrong way.

It seems to me that Moto does a lot of things really well but ignores the basics of cell usage, making calls.

Ok I'll bite. What's the correct way?

When you miss a call open phone swipe left top number is missed call hit the green phone and done call is made. The steps:

Unlock phone ( same as iPhone)
Hit phone ( same as iPhone)
Swipe left to recent, the top number is missed call or there can be more than one pick which you want and hit the green phone. Done. ( I don't know how iPhone does it).

The first two steps are the same as iPhone so I don't think you will save any time with an iPhone.

The phone book is a pain. I like go contacts, just a suggestion. It's free.

Upvote 0
Contacts in the Razr are a joke.... Three different phone books. Then when someone calls you and you miss the call you have like 4 key presses to return the call, unless I'm doing it the wrong way.

It seems to me that Moto does a lot of things really well but ignores the basics of cell usage, making calls.

If you are clueless in regard to set-up, it will not matter what phone you own. Proper set-up and the issue you are speaking of will be a non-issue.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I missed the swype part which is why I had the extra steps.
As for proper set up?
What proper setup?

The phone is stock ICS, is there something else I should be doing?

I'm going to explore go contacts because IMHO contacts is the weak point here.
I have corporate Lotus Notes contacts via Lotus Traveler, Google contacts, phone book contacts and it's a PITA to keep them organized.

I don't want Facebook telling me about corporate "friends" and so forth as I keep business and pleasure separate.

I suspect I am missing an important piece of the puzzle here and it's related to big picture what part Google plays in all of this as far as contacts, maps, calendar and so forth.

Is there any place where the big picture of Google and Android/Motorola integration can be found?

Upvote 0
Thanks guys, I missed the swype part which is why I had the extra steps.
As for proper set up?
What proper setup?

The phone is stock ICS, is there something else I should be doing?

I have corporate Lotus Notes contacts via Lotus Traveler, Google contacts, phone book contacts and it's a PITA to keep them organized.

I don't want Facebook telling me about corporate "friends" and so forth as I keep business and pleasure separate.

I suspect I am missing an important piece of the puzzle here and it's related to big picture what part Google plays in all of this as far as contacts, maps, calendar and so forth.

Is there any place where the big picture of Google and Android/Motorola integration can be found?

I'm not gonna be much help here, but I use google and groups to keep things separate. I have groups for example for building inspectors, electricians, plumbers, family, friends etc. I'm not familiar with lotus so no help there. As for the big picture I have no idea I hope someone can help because the only experience I have with apple os is an iPad and my RAZR is much better and I think you might be disappointed switching. Several of my friends have iPhones and honestly I beat them at almost everything when we go head to head doing something. Gps, maps, web seach for example. Good luck.

Upvote 0

I've been using TouchPal for contacts and dialer for a couple weeks, and so far really like it. I just use one shortcut on my home screen, because you can switch between the dialer and contacts within the app. But then, I don't don't my Maxx as a "phone" very often. :) I was using RocketDial, and I liked a lot of its features a lot - but there were a couple annoyances that I just couldn't deal with so I gave it up.

In terms of contact and Facebook, don't set up Facebook in your accounts on your phone. You can install FB (or 3rd party app) without having that account set up. Then FB is in no way affiliated with contacts on the phone.

I can't speak to anything in terms of Lotus Notes and the phone.

Reactions: steveo42
Upvote 0
Integrating FB contacts is LIKE A VIRUS!! And it is really eazy to make a mistake and have it happen. Just in case it happens to you, go on line to Gmail Contacts and do a quick restore. Easy pezzy

I've been using TouchPal for contacts and dialer for a couple weeks, and so far really like it. I just use one shortcut on my home screen, because you can switch between the dialer and contacts within the app. But then, I don't don't my Maxx as a "phone" very often. :) I was using RocketDial, and I liked a lot of its features a lot - but there were a couple annoyances that I just couldn't deal with so I gave it up.

In terms of contact and Facebook, don't set up Facebook in your accounts on your phone. You can install FB (or 3rd party app) without having that account set up. Then FB is in no way affiliated with contacts on the phone.

I can't speak to anything in terms of Lotus Notes and the phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones