• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contacts app???

red_crayons

Lurker
Jul 25, 2010
I just got an Incredible this week, but the way the contacts work is killing me and I desperately need help! Does anyone have a suggestion for a good contacts app, or tricks to make the Android/Sense contacts system work better with multiple accounts? More detail below...

I work/take classes at a university that now uses MS Exchange for email and calendar. I use this account primarily for work right now and find it handy to have. I also have a Gmail account that I use for personal stuff and to archive really important things from my Exchange account. I really need to continue to use both accounts separately.

The problem is that a lot of the people I know have both Exchange and Gmail accounts. I often have emails from each account on each of MY accounts. This means that after I synced my new phone to both accounts, I have 4 (!!!!) entries for many people: Gmail on my Gmail, Exchange on my Gmail, Gmail on my Exchange, and Exchange on my Exchange.

The link feature doesn't remedy this well enough for me. When I want to edit a contact, i have to choose which of the 2 (or 3 or 4) instances I want to edit. To add a phone number, I have to choose which email account to attach it to. I just want one entry for one person in my phone, period, and I don't care if it syncs back to Gmail or Exchange.

Another horrible side effect is that it's nearly impossible to put people in contact groups in any coherent way. When I synced to Gmail, it imported my Gmail groups and imposed its new groups on me. In some places, like in the address book, it reads "VIP [from phone]" and "VIP [from email accounts]" as the same group. In others, like in the Launcher Pro Plus contacts widget, it reads these as two DIFFERENT groups, PLUS adds its own empty, useless "VIP" category. LPP, in fact, sees VIP for addresses in Exchange and VIP for addresses in Gmail as two groups that I can't combine in the Contacts widget.

Is there AAANNNNYYYYY app out there that can do a better job of syncing contacts between Exchange, phone-entered info, and Gmail better than the stock contacts function? I didn't see anything promising during a quick browse and search of the Market, and of this site. Help!

Edited to clarify: Basically, I want ONE contacts book that is synced exactly the same across phone, Exchange, and Gmail. I want contacts stored as PHONE contacts, not only on the Exchange or Gmail cloud. But I want TWO mailboxes.

I just got an Incredible this week, but the way the contacts work is killing me and I desperately need help! Does anyone have a suggestion for a good contacts app, or tricks to make the Android/Sense contacts system work better with multiple accounts? More detail below...

I work/take classes at a university that now uses MS Exchange for email and calendar. I use this account primarily for work right now and find it handy to have. I also have a Gmail account that I use for personal stuff and to archive really important things from my Exchange account. I really need to continue to use both accounts separately.

The problem is that a lot of the people I know have both Exchange and Gmail accounts. I often have emails from each account on each of MY accounts. This means that after I synced my new phone to both accounts, I have 4 (!!!!) entries for many people: Gmail on my Gmail, Exchange on my Gmail, Gmail on my Exchange, and Exchange on my Exchange.

The link feature doesn't remedy this well enough for me. When I want to edit a contact, i have to choose which of the 2 (or 3 or 4) instances I want to edit. To add a phone number, I have to choose which email account to attach it to. I just want one entry for one person in my phone, period, and I don't care if it syncs back to Gmail or Exchange.

Another horrible side effect is that it's nearly impossible to put people in contact groups in any coherent way. When I synced to Gmail, it imported my Gmail groups and imposed its new groups on me. In some places, like in the address book, it reads "VIP [from phone]" and "VIP [from email accounts]" as the same group. In others, like in the Launcher Pro Plus contacts widget, it reads these as two DIFFERENT groups, PLUS adds its own empty, useless "VIP" category. LPP, in fact, sees VIP for addresses in Exchange and VIP for addresses in Gmail as two groups that I can't combine in the Contacts widget.

Is there AAANNNNYYYYY app out there that can do a better job of syncing contacts between Exchange, phone-entered info, and Gmail better than the stock contacts function? I didn't see anything promising during a quick browse and search of the Market, and of this site. Help!

Edited to clarify: Basically, I want ONE contacts book that is synced exactly the same across phone, Exchange, and Gmail. I want contacts stored as PHONE contacts, not only on the Exchange or Gmail cloud. But I want TWO mailboxes.

I developed this app that seems to suit your need.
Search for "conTAGts" and you will find it under the Android market.

Features: - create colorful groups, search by groups, add contacts to multiple groups simply by drag-and-drop; - send emails or sms to a group; - add tags for a contact, search by tags (your tags function basically the same way as your group)
Future features: - share contacts with your friends and search for shared contacts via tags. These features will be added in the next release.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones