• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contacts backup app that can restore without overwriting existing contacts?

Saving your contacts to Google Contacts should do the trick. The contacts would be saved to your Google account, and they'd be accessible on any device where you're signed into it. This also shouldn't overwrite the contacts stored in other locations (e.g. SIM card or device) after you sign in. Then you'd also be able to copy those existing contacts to your Google account.

The contacts app on your phone should also be able to export all contacts to a vCard file. If I remember correctly, importing that file should not overwrite existing contacts, but I would recommend you test this out on another device where you don't have important contacts. I'd recommend you also backup the existing contacts before importing the new ones, just in case something unexpected happens while importing.

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
I'm not clear on what you're looking for, Nintendo1889.

I understand you want to be able to restore a backup without wiping out existing data.

But what are you using now, Google/Android's default 'Contacts' app?

Regardless, do you have your contacts app automatically backing up somewhere?

Are you trying to merge contacts from more than one account?

You can manually export your contacts, and then import them as needed, without overwriting anything. Would that work?

As I see it, an app that backs up and restores contacts, without overwriting existing data, may add duplicate records unless it's able to read an entire contact, compare its data to a similar one in the backup, and determine whether they're the same or different. I personally don't know of such an app, but someone else might.

Please clarify what you're wanting to do, especially noting if there's more than one account involved.

Edit: ninja! While I was taking my sweet time replying, @ajhk slipped in a helpful response. :)

Reactions: ajhk
Upvote 0
Be careful. This may result in a lot of duplicate contacts.
WHAT may do that? :thinking:

I was very careful to note that some approaches "...may add duplicate records..." So I'm curious what you're referring to.

If you had quoted what you were referring to, maybe I wouldn't be confused! :)

Upvote 0
WHAT may do that? :thinking:

I was very careful to note that some approaches "...may add duplicate records..." So I'm curious what you're referring to.

If you had quoted what you were referring to, maybe I wouldn't be confused! :)

I was just relating a personal experience I had a while back when using a transfer app.

It's been a while, so I don't remember which app it was.

HTH...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones