• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts birthdays from Google Contacts shown twice

UdvVrf

Aug 3, 2010
In Google Contacts I've entered birthdays and subscribed to the "Contacts' birthdays and events" calendar in Google Calendar.
They show up as intended in Google Calendar but in my phones calendar they're all listed twice. Unsubscribing from the contacts birthdays calendar makes both disappear, so they're not from some other calendar.
Is this a bug in the Galaxy S calendar? Any solutions?

Noticed this with the JG4 firmware update too. I thought subscribing from the contacts birthdays and events will fix this, but I never got around to trying it yet.

edit : Just unsubscribed from the contacts birthdays and events calendar. Now there's only one birthday per person. The JG4 firmware update must have added the contacts birthday to the calendar as well. (A little extra information : the birthday event from the contacts shows the contact picture, while the birthday event from google calendar does not.)

Upvote 0
well, I am as lost as you are. Hopefully you will get a new firmware release that doesn't require you to subscribe to the contacts birthday on google calendar.

Same here, but on an HTC Legend, so I'd assume it's an Android/Google bug. I un-ticked & re-ticked the 'contacts' birthday' calendar once, which I assume now was the trigger... funnily enough, removing them, re-ticking & refreshing the calendar in question still keeps 2 birthdays althougjh on gmail-calendar there is only one still....
Pretty annoying.
Where is the official bug-report forum for Android ? Google-Code ?
Cheers.

Upvote 0
I didn't subscribe to "Birthday's & Events" on Google Calendar, but I have this problem with several birthdays on the SGS and Calendar. I think it's how some contacts were entered; but I can't figure it out. I still starred your issue post alectron.

EDIT: Wow, I think I just figured it out. My problem at least. I moved to Android from Win-Mo 2 months ago and this was bugging the heck out of me. Initially, I used some software to transfer my calendar/contacts and then got rid of it. However, I noticed a little later that my computer had "Google Calendar Sync" installed. I have no idea if I installed that, but I don't remember doing so. Anyhow, that has been taking info from my old Outlook calendar that contained many "hand" entered dates and events!

I just wiped the Outlook calendar clean, set the Google Calendar Sync to "Gmail to Outlook Only" (just curious), checked the "Birthdays & Events" calendar in Google and then hand deleted all the multiple birthday entries before re-syncing. Now my calendar looks perfect.

Upvote 0
I stopped having this problem by disselecting the phone calendar from the display options in the phone. Now it shows only the gmail calendar and it has only one birthday per person.

Yup, I disabled the phone calendar right away.
But when I de-selecting 'Contacts Birthdays' on android as well, none of the birthdays are shown anymore, although they should be part of my gmail account sync as they are enabled there...
And when I switch the 'Contacts Birthdays' back on, I have multiple still.
Annoying
c.

Upvote 0
I am having the same issue, although I have discovered something else that is very strange: When I look at the duplicated birthday events, they are listed under my Corporate (Exchange) email account. However, these are Google contacts and they did not in any way come from my Exchange contacts or events in my Exchange calendar. I checked my Exchange account from desktop and these contacts do not exist and there are no events in my calendar. To be sure, I deleted the Exchange account from my phone, cleared the Calendar Storage, and then added the account back to "flush" it out but it came back the same way.

I also tried by de-selecting the option to view Corporate events in my calendar and both of the birthdays disappeared. I am also not running Google Contacts Birthdays and the birthdays are not in my Google Calendar at all, so it is completely on the phone end.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones