1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Contacts calling options

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by FSBayer, Aug 8, 2013.

1. FSBayer

FSBayer Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2013
    Male
    Developer, translator, writer
    Hi all,

I have a relatively non-pressing question (and please bear with me, I only recently got an Android and previously didn't even have a working mobile, let alone smart phone).

I just added a contact (I'm not syncing anything, pretty much none of my email "contacts" are people I'd actually call), and I added four phone options: Home, mobile, work, and work fax. If I click on the contact, it offers me to call him under home, mobile and work fax, but not work.

Obviously, I'd rather have the reverse, i.e. having an option to call work, but not work fax, seeing as calling his fax machine would be a tad stupid. Is there any way I can do this short of deleting the work fax number?

Also, out of curiosity, why is it doing this to begin with? You'd think the fact that people would rather call work than the work fax would be obvious?

Advertisement

2. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2012
    Male
    Professional Smartass
    Las Vegas
    Which phone do you have? Perhaps your model is limiting the number of options that appear. If you're never going to call their fax, I would delete it from their contact info. I rarely put in more than one number per contact.

Now I'm going to preach a little about syncing: :p

I would highly recommend putting all of your contacts into Google and then syncing them onto your phone. It will save your from a world of irritation should you ever lose or destroy your phone. My little sister ran over her phone a month ago and had to manually track down and put contacts into her new phone. Never did recover some of them.

Meanwhile, I bought a new phone to replace my aging Captivate. I had my contacts saved on gmail and sync'd onto the phone. It took me all of 10 seconds to get all of my contacts and groups onto the new one.

Preaching over.

3. FSBayer

FSBayer Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2013
    Male
    Developer, translator, writer
    I have the Samsung Galaxy Ace GT 5830, if that helps. I'll think about removing the work fax, the reason I put it in there though is so I can give it to other people if they need it. I suppose I could save it in a memo or something.

Regarding the syncing, I can see the benefits, but my problem is, won't that also sync all of the silly mail contacts I have? Being a freelancer, I have lots of old one-off clients who I really don't need clogging up my phone...

4. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Assign contacts to groups. Then you can set your contacts app to display only certain group(s) to simplify while still having all contacts synced and available if needed.

5. bucephalus00

bucephalus00 Lurker
    None

Dec 28, 2012
    Male
    there might be a filter option to "view - only contacts with phone numbers" on the Galaxy Ace, so that you can hide the email only ones. Or what Crashdamage said (i was still typing my post!)