1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Contacts, Contacts & More Contacts!!!!!

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by bdatkinson, Feb 3, 2011.

1. bdatkinson

bdatkinson Lurker

So when I go into my "regular" contacts list I have the list of contacts I expect to see. If I want to send a text and use the contact icon next to the To box I have four sets of contact information for each person listed in my "regular" contacts list. Is there anyway to clean this up so it's a one to one relationship?????? :thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Extreme Android User

Are they on your SD card anywhere? I thought I had edited contacts when I got a Nokia. I'd had a BB when I entered all the info. I stuck my SD card into the Apollo when I got it, and all the contacts from the BB were there. I know it was the BB as I entered spammers in the phone book with a silent ring. And the entries were all obscene. I'd deleted those on the Nokia since I could block them. I've been using the same card. I did have to reformat, but copied the whole card to the computer, then put the info back. I was surprised when the Apollo read the whole card!

3. bdatkinson

bdatkinson Lurker

I will double check, but I think it was pretty well cleaned up.

4. wayrad

wayrad Android Expert

You don't mention what phone you have, but I found that trying to sync my HTC phone to Outlook with HTC Sync caused random contacts to multiply like rabbits. I only had one entry for each visible in the People app unless I tapped the "link" icon at the upper right of the screen while viewing the affected contacts. Didn't realize what was going on until importing and exporting the contacts list to/from my card began to fail and I noticed it was trying to deal with way more entries than I should have had. I ended up manually unlinking them and then deleting the redundant ones. Then I stopped using HTC Sync and the problem hasn't come back.

5. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert

Yeah, you link them so they will have only one master relationship. You can do that on the phone, where you will see the Link icon with broken chain, or you can do on your PC web browser on GMail on your contacts.

Some of these sets of contact information comes from syncing Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, Yahoo, into your contacts. This creates John Doe on Google, John Doe on Facebook, John Doe on Twitter, John Doe on Yahoo. Clicking on the Link creates the connection and they all get integrated into a single page, like John Doe showing his email address, his Yahoo address, his Facebook and Twitter profiles..