1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Contacts Crisis

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Natep, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Natep

Natep Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2013
    My Contacts Vanished! Please help, as this is a bit of a crisis. When I opened my Contacts Icon, my contacts have all vanished. gone. Just Gone. Gone, Baby Gone. :thinking: :bawling:

If anyone knows of any way to get my contacts back, I would be ever-so-grateful. I have so much information stored here that is sadly not backed up. I guess I just trusted my Nexus 7 too much.:(:security:

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    If they were Account contacts (not Phone contacts), they're still at Google Contacts (on the web).

Otherwise, they're probably gone for good. In the future, enter all contacts as Account contacts and make sure the account sync is set sync contacts.

Natep likes this.
  3. Natep

Natep Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2013
    I've never used Google on the web. I have only used the button on the bottom of my Nexus 7. And, I have no idea if "Accounts" was selected. I am currently on my PC. How do I get to my google account on the web? Yes, at the moment I do feel dumb as a box of rocks . . .

4. Natep

Natep Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2013
    I have now discovered that when I go to "Apps" in settings, select "Contacts Storage" it says there is 1.17 MB in Data. Does that mean my information is still in there somewhere? If yes: how/where do I find it? Note that Cache is a mere 12 KB. Oddly, the Contacts icon no longer shows up in my app drawer. :-(

5. UncleMike

UncleMike Android Expert
    None

Nov 15, 2009
    Central NJ
    The contacts app is a stock system app that cannot be removed unless you're rooted. It you're using the stock launcher and aren't rooted, it was appear that the contacts app has been disabled. How it would have gotten this way on its own, I have no idea. To see if this is the case, go to Settings > Apps, swipe over to the Disabled tab and see if the Contacts app appears there. If it does, select it and tap Enable.

Natep likes this.
  6. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)
    None

Mar 17, 2010
    Male
    Northern VA, USA
    The Android default contacts app is called "People", not Contacts. Is that in your App drawer?

Natep likes this.
  7. Natep

Natep Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks Uncle Mike! I had already done this. Sadly, it was not "disabled" either. I have given up hope of recovering. Now I need to find the proper forum for instructions on how to backup my Nexus 7. I guess I am going to have to do the factory reset thing. I am not looking forward to this, but it needs to be done.

8. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    If you're looking to backup, something like Helium or MyBackUp Pro should do the job no problem.

9. Natep

Natep Newbie
    None

Dec 29, 2013
    Thanks once again El Presidente! Are Helium and MyBackup Pro apps or software that I put on my Windows PC? Also, assuming I figure out how to back up (HUGE assumption) how do I know I am not reloading the corrupt file / virus / malware / whatever the heck is the source of the problem?

The whole N7 crashed today. I don't know if it will hold a charge. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to see. Sigh...

10. WoohooGuy

WoohooGuy Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Male
    woodworking
    boston ma
    Hey Nate, glad I found this thread.

The Nexus 7 is a tablet, so by default any contacts you inserted into the tablet should be synchronized to the Google account that you registered the device to UNLESS you downloaded and used a secondary contact app.

Your Google account is simply your Gmail account.

When you first turned on your N7 it should have asked you to sign into an existing Google account (Gmail) or create a new one.

As you cannot access the Google Play Store without being logged into a Google account to install another contact management app then your contacts may be saved to your Google account.

Google Contacts...

Try going there, log in with the same google account your tablet used, and hopefully your contacts are there.

If not... well it gets complicated.

11. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!
    VIP Member
    None

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    There's an app you install on your tablet and some small software for your PC too. It's pretty easy and the instructions are pretty clear.

Not sure it is malware tbh. You can restore apps one at a time so if there is a rogue app causing problems, it should be relatively easy to track.

Natep likes this.