• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts from Phone to Gmail

Culverin

Aug 22, 2010
I had a Motorolla SLVR L7, now I've got my Galaxy S Captivate

I was able to get my contacts from the L7 onto the sim, and the Captivate seems to be reading the sim contacts just fine.

I then imported from my Sim card onto my Captivate's internal memory.

I had assumed that this would allow me to sync up those contacts into my Gmail, so that I can do manual backups and have a keyboard/mouse to manage them.

Except they aren't being loaded into my gmail.

Any advice?

thanks!

I wish it was that simple.
The phone seems to recognize a couple of different "contact types/storage locations".
- Phone
- Sim
- Google
- Facebook

I brought over all my contacts via my SIM, but have since transferred them into my phone so now they are "phone contacts".
Google and Facebook can link to each other, that makes sense.
Although Android seems smart enough to link the phone contact and "google contacts", I'd rather have them clouded (all under 1 location and synched).
I just don't see any point in storing some phone numbers on the phone and the sim. Seems very... legacy.

Is there any quick computer interface where I can easily transfer the phone number from a "phone contact" into my "google contact".
Then quickly delete all the old phone contacts?

thanks!

Upvote 0
my suggestion is to download all your contacts via kies. In theory, you should be able to export it to a csv and then import into gmail contact on your pc. After tat, it just auto syncs. HOWEVER, I am not sure how you would delete the contacts en masse. Without doing this, you just end up with duplicate contacts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones