• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contacts icon/photo conflict - Phone vs FaceBook

kumimajava

Lurker
Jun 13, 2010
i've just upgraded to the Desire & am liking many things in it, but this issue bugs me:

i've synced & linked the contacts in my 'people' app. in some cases, this involved linking the FaceBook profile of a person with a pre-exisitng phone number in my phone/sim card.

The problem is that the phone seems to default to the Facebook 'profile picture' as the icon/photo that shows up in my People app (for that contact), even if tell it not to.

I've tried downloading new pics, or taking a photo with the camera, and then manually setting this as the 'icon' for a certain person. This works for a while (a few hours?) and then within one day, the phone automatically re-sets this icon & replaces it with the Facebook profile pic. again.

has anyone else had similar problems? is there a workaround (other than de-linking the two profiles/contacts)?

any help would be much appreciated, since i can't seem to make any progress on my own.

If I have understood the problem you are experiencing correctly, all you need to do is deactive the sync that is linking your contacts to Facebook, go into settings > accounts and sync and then remove the FB sync. This will clear the pictures that are syncing to your phonebook from FB and should then allow you to add whatever picture you want.

You'll still be able to view Facebook through the FB app on your phone.

Upvote 0
Yeah, i have the same problem, even if the people in the contacts are not syncd/linked to facebook, it still uses the facebook picture.

Manually set it to the picture on the phone, then a few hours later it will be back to facebook. I think the whole facebook sync thing is a bit crap. Had this problem and the +447 / 447 problems.

Upvote 0
I'm experiencing the same problem but what I find most odd is that it doesn't happen for all contacts, only some.
I have images assigned to a large number of my Google contacts and I had changed a lot of the contacts on my HTC Desire to use the Google image, rather than the Facebook one.
I had thought initially that the contact photo might have been defaulting back to the Facebook image if the Facebook image was updated but that does not seem to be the case, but like I say, it isn't happening for all my contacts, just some, and there does not appear to be a pattern (or at least not one that I can spot).
I have just upgraded to FroYo on Orange (with HTC Sense and Orange overlay) and tested the issue again and the symptoms are the same, some revert back after a sync and others don't.
I categorically do not want to disable the synchronisation of Facebook images as I still the vast majority of my contacts to use the Facebook image as the contact photo, I just want the ones that I change manually to stay that way.

Any thoughts?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones