• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contacts issue

jamesbil

Dec 15, 2011
Im having a small prob with my contacts, they are all on my sim but I want to add pics, to do this I have to export them to my phone?
When I do this I have 2 of everything, unless I uncheck view sim.
Q is are the all still on sim after moving to phone?
How do I sync them all to google?

Seeing two of everything unless you uncheck view SIM is normal. Actually its really adviseable to stop using SIM cards for contact storage anyway, too many cons compared to pros. When you think of it, there really aren't any good reasons to use SIM storage anyway.

To have them all on Google, simply export the contacts to SD card (open contacts app>menu>import/export>export to SD card), then after exporting, import them again from SD card, and choose import to your gmail address. Uncheck show SIM and phone contacts, then in the settings, set it so that when adding new contacts it defaults to saving to Google. The next time you connect to the internet, the phone will automatically sync to Google your contacts, if you have background data and auto sync enabled in Menu>Settings>accounts and sync of your phone.

Reactions: jamesbil
Upvote 0
Yes, Google account. Only Google contacts will permit additional data such as pictures and custom ringtones. They will also sync to the gmail account and keep you backed up in the "cloud". Any other Android device you register using the same gmail account will automatically have all the contacts transferred to it. It also makes it easier to manage contacts right from gmail on a desktop computer.

Upvote 0
ok here is what I did;

remove sim and delete all contacts
put sim back in
export from sim to sd
import from sd to google.
chose view only google

in people all contacts are google
in the dialler screen there are 2 of each, 1 google and one sim
also go sms has 2 of each.

dont really want to delete sim as it has all on for if i need to use a different phone.

any solution?

Upvote 0
ok after extensive googling, it turns out this is a "feature" of HTC and there is no way to hide sim contacts in the dialler unless you delete them, which i,m not too sure about. what if my phone crashes or i break it and i need to use my old phone which wont sync to google?

is there a way to copy all contacts to pc as v files? would this work as a backup?

Thanks again all!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones