1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Support Contacts list is messed up

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sparks3229, Jul 31, 2013.

1. sparks3229

sparks3229 Newbie

There have been some older threads about this, but had no solutions for me. I set up my husbands contact list from his old (not smart) phone. All was good, until now. He now has double and triple on some of his contacts. Some just have phone numbers, some just have e mail addresses. He also has far more contacts than I manually put in. I believe anyone he ever sent (or received) an e mail to has been added.

Seems SOMETHING synced when we wish it wouldn't have. He has had this phone for 2 weeks. When we first set it up, he wasn't successfully able to send e mails from his Yahoo account consistently(event though synced). Someone suggested to use the Yahoo e mail app instead, as Yahoo doesn't necessarily play nice with either Samsung or Virgin Mobile. (I can't remember which). So now e mail works fine.

Today he went to start a text message with our daughter and her number never came up as he started typing her name, only her e mail address. That's when I looked into his contacts and saw his contact list was messed up now. We also started him using Nova Launcher instead of Touchwiz. Those are the 2 new things...Yahoo e mail app and Nova Launcher. Not sure which has messed up his contacts...or none. Any and all help welcomed, please!!!

Advertisement

2. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

I had a similar problem when I had my e-mail account set to sync contacts. I think that was an option in the e-mail account settings but it may have been somewhere in contacts.

Basically, I unticked the sync option for the e-mail account, used an app I downloaded from Play to remove all contacts from my phone and re-sync'ed the contacts with Outlook on my PC (ensuring that the sync was ONLY from PC to phone). I'm still getting the odd duplicate contacts, but I think that's an issue with the Outlook sync.

I have noticed that when I type in an email addresses or whatever, the phone seems to search for matches in history as well as my contacts.

One thing: before you make any changes, definitely back up everything on the phone.