• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts 'Merged'

nutwals

Lurker
Jun 21, 2011
Hi guys,

Bought the Ideos X5 two days ago, and am loving it to pieces. So smooth and full of functionality, I love it. However, I have encountered one small problem that I can't fix.

Two of my contacts (Mum and Sister) have VERY similar phone numbers, only 1 digit different. Now, I have entered them both in to my contacts as seperate contacts, and everything is fine there. HOWEVER, the problem happens when I'm SMS'ing or receiving calls from them. For some reason, my phone collates all contact under the one contact (Mum). So, this means text's from both my sister and mum are in the one 'thread', thus making it difficult to know who sent me what. Also, when I receive an incoming call from either of them, they are labelled both as Mum, despite showing the correct number that is calling me.

I can still call and text the correct numbers through the contacts list (which are not merged or joined, I've checked that SO many times), but when I'm receiving them, the labels seems to have been mucked up.

Heck, I even tried multiple SMS apps to see if it was a problem with the stock, and no dice.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

EDIT: Some further information that I've just discovered. I'd just deleted both contacts and asked my Mum to send me a text to test it out, and the number that was displayed on my phone was my sister's number....It's like the phone is changing my Mum's phone number on an incoming message and setting it to be the same as my sister's! This a hardware or software issue? Either way, it's disconcerting :(

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones