• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contacts mess - please help

martyp

Aug 18, 2010
Hi all,
I imported all my contacts as vcards into 'Phone' from the SD Card and then into 'My Phonebook' (why are there two - what's the difference?!)
It is also bringing up all the people I have ever e-mailed through my Gmail account...

As a result it's a complete mess with duplicates etc when trying to search for people as I get a huge number of results...

On my N95 it was simple - I had a phone directory with all contact details in and that was it. I really want the same on my HTC...

Please can someone help me get rid of all my Google contacts and use just the one phone book and get rid of all the duplicate entries as it's really confusing...

I don't really want to reset the phone to defaults if I can help it...

I've sorted this now using a contact cleaning app from Android Market which allowed me to delete all contacts and then add them back in.
It then prompted me about deleting all the gmail contacts in notifications which I did sort of thinking it would just be the ones copied to my phone but it deleted all the google mail e-mail addresses in gmail I'd accumulated over a couple of years.
Not a real pain as many were just people I'd e-mailed from ebay etc and I have the original e-mails so I can always get them back.
I'm just hoping now that my automatic gmail e-mail addresses won't start polluting my contacts list on my phone...
All looking good at the moment though...

Upvote 0
you dont need a app to delete all your contacts, the "contacts" are acutally in the the manage applications section in your settings.

i had this problem too, but it turned out it was because i imported the vcard too many times or more than one vcard... delete them all and just use the most recent one if you did this as well... if not then you may have to go through your contacts and customize again... i had to a bit.

Reactions: martyp
Upvote 0
you dont need a app to delete all your contacts, the "contacts" are acutally in the the manage applications section in your settings.

i had this problem too, but it turned out it was because i imported the vcard too many times or more than one vcard... delete them all and just use the most recent one if you did this as well... if not then you may have to go through your contacts and customize again... i had to a bit.
Nice one cheers, is that 'contacts storage'?
I just realised that it didn't copy across address details so I'm adding those in now. Nice how it links in with Google Maps...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones