1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Contacts no longer show "mobile" "home" etc.

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by NoCarrot, May 13, 2019.

1. NoCarrot

NoCarrot Lurker
    None

May 13, 2019
    Before this most recent update for my Galaxy S8+ on Verizon, when sending a text message, the contacts would show next to the number "mobile" or "home" etc. Now if I look up a contact, we'll call him Bob Jones", I have 3 numbers listed. I know 1 is a home, 1 is a mobile, and 1 is a work. But it doesn't show me, so I have to go into contacts and determine which number is the cell before trying to send a text message...

Is there any way to get contacts to show what number it is when sending a text message? This new update is a real pain.. much less user friendly.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I don't know what message app you are using, but if it changed with the update it must be either a Samsung app or a Verizon one. This is relevant because this issue is with the app rather than the operating system - I know because I've been using Android 9 on a different phone for almost a year now and do not have this problem. This feature is still there in every message app I've used in that time (Chomp, Textra and Google's own Messages app), and I expect in most others too.

So the quick solution, and likely the only one, is to use a different app.

Dannydet and ocnbrze like this.
  3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    It sounds like perhaps something got messed up with the Permissions settings. Open up your Settings >> Apps menu, find the entry for your texting app and check in Permissions that it has Contacts enabled.

Dannydet likes this.
  4. NoCarrot

NoCarrot Lurker
    None

May 13, 2019
    Thanks for the help! It looks like when the phone updated, the default app was "messages". There was also a "Messages +" in verizon apps that shows the phone type (Cell, home, etc.) Changed that to default and it's working (albeit with some really funky colors)