• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts not backing up to Gmail

Is there a way to get them all to sync over without doing it 1-by-1?

The easiest way to do it is to

1. export all the contacts on your phone (google, phone, etc) to a file on your SD card.

2. delete all of your google account contacts and import the contacts that you just exported.

3. make any adjustments/corrections to your contacts and re-save them to a vCard file (all of your contacts, which previously were a mix of "phone" and "google" contacts will now just be "google" contacts).

4. delete all contacts on your phone & again on your google account

5. import the vCard on your phone and sync.

This will result in all of your contacts being "google" contacts and being completely synched between phone and google.

From that point on, all your contacts should be made to be "google" contacts.

Reactions: Sharondippity
Upvote 0
Agree with ragingray. I have always used backup assistant, so here's how I did it, which is probably a little more of a hassle:

Signed on to backupassistant and dowloaded .CSV file of all my contacts.

Imported CSV file into gmail, and then synced.

[Make sure you go into People, Menu, view, and check Google]

Now I had 2 of every contact showing. You have 2 options at this point, as I see it:

(1) People; Menu; View; Check Google; Uncheck Phone, or

(2) Delete all of your contacts on Backup Assistant (leaving only your Google contacts and no duplicates -- just remember to save that csv file just in case).

Upvote 0
Till August of 2010 the contacts were backing up to google automatically. Thats that last time I changed phones and loved it because all I had to do was log in. Now Google is messing up. I guess it is time for Iphone. I hate when companies grows big and can not handle what they promised. I do not want to go through all the hassle to back up my contacts, callenders. etc.

GOOGLE NEEDS TO FIX IT!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones