• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help contacts not syncing to gmail

boroblue

Lurker
May 11, 2010
I have set everything up to sync with my gmail account.

However, all my contacts are stored as phone so i know i either need to change them all to Google or export them and import into Gmail (a pain but there you go).

I have no contacts in gmail so i added one and it synced perfectly to my phone.

However, as a test, i added a new google contact to my phone and synced. It didn't show up in Gmail and I believe this can take some time, and this would be fine but it has disappeared from my phone!

It seems as if the sync has wiped out the contact from my phone because it doesn't appear on my gmail account. THis means it only syncs one way which is useless for me as the whole reason for me doing this is to get a backup of my contacts in case of emergencies!

Am i missing a trick somewhere?

It should sync both ways, you should be able to add a contact to your gmail account and have it sync to your phone and vice versa, and it should sync more or less immediately, this is how it behaves when it works, BUT, many times it doesn't work as expected, I have had many problems with this where I had contacts getting deleted during sync, I never found out what causes it, software glitch? sync glitch? I don't know, my only way of dealing with this is making regular backups of contacts and restore when needed.

Reactions: halcyondays
Upvote 0
I added most of my contacts (30+) to my Desire via bluetooth from my Sony K810i. The transfer worked perfectly but I didn't get the option to save them as Google contacts, therefore they don't sync with my Google account online. The 6 or 7 contacts added manually were saved as Google contacts by default, and they sync no problem.

Any easy way to change them to Google contacts?

Upvote 0
I am unable to sync my Google Conatacts with my phone any longer. This used to work fine, but when adding/changin/deleting a contact on my phone (HTC Desire) or PC or LapTop, the changes are NO LONGER reflected on the other devices :-(
Windows XP Pro
Windows Vista
FroYo v2.2

Wonder if anyone has a resolve/answer to this problem??

Thanks

Upvote 0
My google contacts don't sync phone to pc either. Calendar is fine.

This is very annoying because I switched from outlook sync to google after froyo because of exactly the opposite problem; contacts synced but calendar phone to pc stopped working.

Now I notice my outlook business contacts have dropped from 800 to 250 presumably caused by HTC sync; it's taken me years to build up these contacts.

In short my carefully maintained contacts are now a complete mess. This all worked perfectly for months.

The Desire? Fabulous hardware now ruined by buggy software which certainly isn't suitable for a business user I'm sorry and annoyed to say.

Upvote 0
After all afternoon repairing messed up outlook contacts I've finally got HTC sync/outlook and google contacts/calendar working perfectly by doing a factory reset and starting from scratch. I wish I'd done this as soon as 2.2 arrived and at the first sign of trouble since every other suggested fix just messed everything up even more.

I'm looking forward to learning to love my Desire again after 2 weeks of chaos!

Upvote 0
I've been having this issue aswell - very frustrating... contacts I add to my phone (as a google contact) do not sync with gmail and disappear from the phone altogether after a short while. Contacts added to gmail are fine and sync with the phone with no problems.

I have found a solution...!

I had previously changed my google account online from googlemail to gmail. After changing it back (while signed into gmail - click "settings", then "accounts and import" tab. On this screen the second row down will read "send mail as" - to the right of your email address highlighted in blue it will say "switch to @googlemail.com") everything worked both ways again. I can now save new contacts to my phone as a google contact and it will appear online in my google mail contacts - and vice versa.

Good luck!

Reactions: amarilla51
Upvote 0
I've been having this issue aswell - very frustrating... contacts I add to my phone (as a google contact) do not sync with gmail and disappear from the phone altogether after a short while. Contacts added to gmail are fine and sync with the phone with no problems.

I have found a solution...!

I had previously changed my google account online from googlemail to gmail. After changing it back (while signed into gmail - click "settings", then "accounts and import" tab. On this screen the second row down will read "send mail as" - to the right of your email address highlighted in blue it will say "switch to @googlemail.com") everything worked both ways again. I can now save new contacts to my phone as a google contact and it will appear online in my google mail contacts - and vice versa.

Good luck!

I don't have that option :(

Upvote 0
Just to add another problem to the whole Google Mail not syncing issues.

Mine has a different problem (I think), it only syncs a total of 25 contacts from Gmail to my Desire out of 250(ish) contacts the rest are sitting on my phone memory but when i go to just view Googlemail contacts it only has a total of 25, i am hopeing there is a simple solution as i really don't want to have to do a full factory reset but this is driving me up the wall.

Any suggestions????

Upvote 0
I fixed mine I hope this helps others...

!!!!!BACK UP Contacts to SD Card!!!!! then.........

First, press menu and go to "settings" - click on "Accounts & snyc" - uncheck "background sync" - now use your back key to get back to the screen where you saw "Accounts & snyc" and then click on "Applications"

"Manage Applications" - "ALL" - "Contacts Storage" - open the "Contact Storage" and click "clear data" of "Contacts Storage"

Get back to the first step above and recheck "background snyc"

Then reload contacts from backup and select Google.

(this was on HTC desire)

Upvote 0

First, press menu and go to "settings" - click on "Accounts & snyc" - uncheck "background sync" - now use your back key to get back to the screen where you saw "Accounts & snyc" and then click on "Applications"

"Manage Applications" - "ALL" - "Contacts Storage" - open the "Contact Storage" and click "clear data" of "Contacts Storage"

(this was on HTC desire)

I have the Incredible, and within my "Accounts & Sync" I have check boxes next to Background Data and Auto-Sync, but not Background Sync. I want to be sure so i don't assume anything and mess anything up.

thanks

Upvote 0

(this was on HTC desire)

Thanks mate this was useful. I intially tried it using the backup and restore method you suggested but this just resulted in double the amount of contacts showing up in the view contacts screen. Also ended up with double contacts on web gmail contacts. So I turned off sync, deleted the duplicates from web gmail, cleared the data in contacts storage on the phone, then resynced. Now have 2 way syncing, whoohoo! :)

Upvote 0

(this was on HTC desire)

THIS WORKED, THANKS! I exported all my Google contacts on my PC as a backup, and did all the above. It synced, and it worked. I edited a contact on my phone and it changed immediately on my PC. I added a new contact on my PC and it showed up immediately on my phone.

I second that WOOHOO!

Reactions: LarryBrown
Upvote 0
(this was on HTC desire)

DOOOOOD!!!! You ruuuuuule!!!! So easy and yet 100s of articles and threads that I've read tonight are clueless. So the answer to this problem is "The contacts must be stored to Google when they are added to the phone." You can think of "phone contacts" as contacts that you don't want synced to the Google cloud.

FYI: when you export the contacts to the SD card, they get saved as a .vcf file. That's a text file that you can read and make sure it looks good. You can also import that into Google contacts, providing another option on getting this job done.

Thanks dude.

Larry

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones