1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Contacts Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by meijerbrantm, Jan 5, 2010.

1. meijerbrantm

meijerbrantm Newbie

So I have a droid and my sister an Eris. On the droid when I sync contacts, I can chose a category in my email being "Phone". On the eris, it syncs All Contacts on her account, meaning she's getting a bunch of email address that have been mailed a few times and automatically added into contacts like Gmail does. She only wants her friends with phone numbers actually added (that were in her blackberry), so is there a way to chose which group to sync on the Eris or is that a Android 2.0 Feature?

2. meijerbrantm

meijerbrantm Newbie

3. Caddyman

Caddyman Android Expert

i think it syncs them all, no matter what.

4. meijerbrantm

meijerbrantm Newbie

alright then i'll just sit and hope for android 2.0/.1 to show up for the eris. Just making sure I'm not missing something as a few of the menu's are different between android 2.0 and 1.5

5. plugnpl4y

plugnpl4y Newbie

Go to People > Groups > Menu button > Sync Groups

Uncheck "Sync all contacts" and leave "My Contacts" (or whatever your group may be called)

you can change these group names at http://www.google.com/contacts

6. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Android Enthusiast

I think this is exactly what I've been looking for and I hope it works! I have e-mail addresses in my Gmail that I don't want to have in my phone as contacts (i.e. professors from school, etc). I did what you said above, but how do I actually force sync/update it? Or will it just do it automatically, eventually? I just checked and I still have my professors and classmates as contacts in my phone. Do I need to do anything else, or just wait?

7. plugnpl4y

plugnpl4y Newbie

You can force the sync if you go to Settings > Data Synchronization > Google > Menu button > Sync Now

8. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Android Enthusiast

This is perfect!!!! This is exactly what I've been wanting since day 1 of getting this phone! I hate using the Phone app because if you accidentally click on someone, it calls them. And I hate the "Phones" folder because it doesn't show the pictures. I love the interface in the People app, but I hated that it included my e-mail addresses. Now I can finally add a shortcut to the People app and exclude all of the e-mail-only contacts that were imported :D

You totally just made my day, thank you! :D :D :D

9. plugnpl4y

plugnpl4y Newbie

No problem!

HTC Droid Eris Forum

The HTC Droid Eris release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7600 processor, and 1300mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews