1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

General Contacts Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by meijerbrantm, Jan 5, 2010.

1. meijerbrantm

meijerbrantm Member

Nov 9, 2009
    So I have a droid and my sister an Eris. On the droid when I sync contacts, I can chose a category in my email being "Phone". On the eris, it syncs All Contacts on her account, meaning she's getting a bunch of email address that have been mailed a few times and automatically added into contacts like Gmail does. She only wants her friends with phone numbers actually added (that were in her blackberry), so is there a way to chose which group to sync on the Eris or is that a Android 2.0 Feature?

Advertisement

2. meijerbrantm

meijerbrantm Member

Nov 9, 2009
  3. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Mechanical Piping Designer
    Delaware
    i think it syncs them all, no matter what.

4. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Campus Safety Officer
    Earlville, NY
    Good Question, not sure but I usually just delete them out of my contacts.

5. meijerbrantm

meijerbrantm Member

Nov 9, 2009
    alright then i'll just sit and hope for android 2.0/.1 to show up for the eris. Just making sure I'm not missing something as a few of the menu's are different between android 2.0 and 1.5

6. plugnpl4y

plugnpl4y Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Go to People > Groups > Menu button > Sync Groups

Uncheck "Sync all contacts" and leave "My Contacts" (or whatever your group may be called)

you can change these group names at http://www.google.com/contacts

7. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I think this is exactly what I've been looking for and I hope it works! I have e-mail addresses in my Gmail that I don't want to have in my phone as contacts (i.e. professors from school, etc). I did what you said above, but how do I actually force sync/update it? Or will it just do it automatically, eventually? I just checked and I still have my professors and classmates as contacts in my phone. Do I need to do anything else, or just wait?

8. plugnpl4y

Jan 5, 2010
    You can force the sync if you go to Settings > Data Synchronization > Google > Menu button > Sync Now

9. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    This is perfect!!!! This is exactly what I've been wanting since day 1 of getting this phone! I hate using the Phone app because if you accidentally click on someone, it calls them. And I hate the "Phones" folder because it doesn't show the pictures. I love the interface in the People app, but I hated that it included my e-mail addresses. Now I can finally add a shortcut to the People app and exclude all of the e-mail-only contacts that were imported :D

You totally just made my day, thank you! :D :D :D

10. plugnpl4y

Jan 5, 2010
    No problem!