• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root 'Contacts Storage' Force Closes? - FIX!!!

messenger13

Android Expert
Dec 8, 2009
Cleveland, OH
I started experiencing FCs today and wondered what app I froze, using Titanium Backup Pro, that was causing the issue. At the bottom of the list was the two Yahoo! apps. I unfroze them and BAM!!! All better! :)

Do NOT freeze Yahoo! Mail Authenticator. You will start getting 'Contact Storage' Force Closes. :eek:

FWIW, I do have 'Yahoo Contacts' frozen though, and no issues.

Thanks guys. I'm assuming I just drop the extracted files into the system/apps folder is that correct?

EDIT: Which is what I did with no luck :)

Can't quite figure how to get these files on the device using Titanium Backup. :(

I believe you need to copy those 3 files into the folder where your Titanium Backup files reside. Then open TiBu and do a restore.

Reactions: alelks
Upvote 0
I started experiencing FCs today and wondered what app I froze, using Titanium Backup Pro, that was causing the issue. At the bottom of the list was the two Yahoo! apps. I unfroze them and BAM!!! All better! :)

Do NOT freeze Yahoo! Mail Authenticator. You will start getting 'Contact Storage' Force Closes. :eek:

FWIW, I do have 'Yahoo Contacts' frozen though, and no issues.

I have none of the Yahoo apps frozen but I am still getting FC on Contacts Storage. I've found that putting it in Airplane and Uninstalling the Updates on Contacts Storage, then Restore the AppData using TB works. After that, i take it back off Airplane and let it resync.

However, that fix only works for a day or two then the FC's start all over again. I've noticed that I only get FC's when choosing certain contacts. When I use my temporary fix, the contacts that cause the FC are not the same as the last time. I'm baffled.

Upvote 0
I have none of the Yahoo apps frozen but I am still getting FC on Contacts Storage. I've found that putting it in Airplane and Uninstalling the Updates on Contacts Storage, then Restore the AppData using TB works. After that, i take it back off Airplane and let it resync.

However, that fix only works for a day or two then the FC's start all over again. I've noticed that I only get FC's when choosing certain contacts. When I use my temporary fix, the contacts that cause the FC are not the same as the last time. I'm baffled.

What apps do you have frozen? Any at all?

Also, why are you using TiBu to resync your contacts. Why not just let Google push those back to your phone? (Assuming that you are syncing your data to Google.)

Upvote 0

I am getting this problem, although the temporary fix is not an option to me, Contacts Storage has no updates to remove.

I think it may be related to Facebook- The contacts that crash are the ones that should be synced with FB. When I go into Settings/Accounts there is no Facebook account listed, but if I try to add one it says only one may be linked at a time. Where is it hidden?

Problem persists after unfreezing *everything* - but I had uninstalled a few things (that I thought I restored) before I switched to freezing...
I wish I could just flash the stock ROM over top my existing system to restore anything that has gone missing without clearing all my customization...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones