• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Contacts transfer to Galaxy S

androidmog

May 15, 2010
I've finally taken the plunge and my Galaxy S is on its way. (02 UK). Can anyone suggest the best way to transfer my contacts data from my trusty old Sony Ericsson 850i. Also when I told T Mobile that I was changing networks they told me that after my number had been ported they would wipe my sim. Can they do this remotely or am I misunderstanding something.

Can't help you on the sim wiping thing, but i can tell you how i imported from my old Nokia:

While old Nokia was plugged into laptop with connecting software i backed up the contacts as a 'csv' file (you should have something similar if you connected your old phone to computer).

Then once you have downloaded Kies to manage the galaxy there is an option on there to import your contacts, just browse for the csv file you saved.

I had to do it twice, the first time it copied the names but not the numbers. There are various fields you can check, check all the number ones to copy those with the names.

Good luck, hope that helps.

Upvote 0
HELLO Androidmog,
If there is a Google Sync available for your Sony Ericcson it's a done deal.

Get a GMAIL Account, install Google Sync on your Phone, Google Sync will send all your contacts to the GMAIL account.

When you get the Galaxy S it will ask you if you already have a GMAIL account or if you want to Create one... you give User and Password of the one you created and all your contacts will be on your Galaxy S in no Time.

That's how i did it with my Blackberry... i created a GMAIL account only for the Phone numbers and the transfer was painless and now the management of the Address book can be done from a Computer which is much easyer.
REGARDS

Upvote 0
On your phone you can select between Google, Phone And sim. Select which ever you want.

Tap on contacts icon>menu>more>display options>choose contacts to display. Tap on each one in turn to select.

I want to STORE them in my phone. I know how I can filter them. Thank you anyway.
I think I'll have to choose the long way, and copy a CSV file from Google Contacts and copy them to my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones