1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support COntacts (Unknown)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by markpilling, Aug 8, 2011.

1. markpilling

markpilling Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    Hi. In my contacts I have hundreds of (UNKNOWN) entries with no data. When I try to delete or edit I am informed that read-only/SNS entries cannot be deleted or edited. I spent ages hiding them, but they came back. However they are also identified as not existing!!!
    I think they may be from the blackberry account which was on the sim I am using and which I cancelled AFTER introducing it to the SGSII.
    Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. markpilling

markpilling Lurker
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    Followup, looking at similar posts related to facebook contact problems (I don't have facebook), when I try to 'edit', it shows my skype account (and the green icon). However, when I wanted to unlink skype galaxy told me that this could only be done by setting phone back to factory default!! Yikes! It's horrid. By giving them the name (unknown) starting with a bracket, they precede all my propoer contacts :((((((((

3. hxd

hxd Newbie
    None

Aug 24, 2011
    I am having the exact same problem, is there any solution to this? It's very annoying!

4. tannistoo

tannistoo Lurker
    None

Aug 31, 2011
    i joined this forum because of this irritating issue - any ideas warmly welcomed.....

5. planetf1

planetf1 Member
    None

Jul 18, 2011
    same here. .

6. DaveSyd

DaveSyd Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 19, 2011
    Australia
    Although I do not have the same problem - I would try this;

Firstly turn off sync for all accounts. Go to Settings, Accounts & Sync, if you have auto-sync selected leave it on for the moment, then click on each account, then then in the subsequent dialog deselect sync Contacts. Repeat for all accounts except for your primary source of contacts eg. Google. If you simply store them in the 'Phone' account like I do then deselect contacts of all accounts.

Once you have turn this off. In the contacts list, slide accross and select Groups (maybe off the screen to the right), go down to accounts, and select each account. Then on the next dialog tap and long hold on each duplicate, or unwanted entry wait until the dialog pop up and choose delete. I don't know of a way to delete these 'account' entries on mass.

After you have deleted unwanted entries you can selectively turned back on the Accounts & Sync settings for the accounts that you actually want. I have worked out that if you do not have auto sync selected - you do not see the individual selection boxes for contacts, messages, etc It just appears as one entry.

7. picard359

picard359 Lurker
    None

Sep 17, 2011
    Problem Resolved: Get rid of Skype. (My first post so I can't post a link. Just add http etc)

androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2/400775-hundreds-unknowns-turned-up-my-contacts-list.html#post3111685