• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contacts won't sync w/Gmail

D

Deleted User

I've tried posting this on other threads but have gotten no replies. Forgive me for starting a new one.

I haven't synced my contacts to Gmail since January because I found the way it would garble them all up annoying. But...I got the OTA on my phone & wanted to make sure they're backed up before I go ahead w/the installation. Problem is, it has been acting like it's syncing for over 12 hours now & all it's doing is draining my battery. It still shows that it hasn't been synced since January.

Also, periodically during the sync attempts, the "too many contacts deletes" notification pops up. I always tell it to delete everything. And it's odd that one time it'll say 505 deletes & the next time it'll say 502 deletes & it keeps getting less. I don't get it.

Help! I need to back up my contacts before I install 2.1 right??

first, clean up your contacts on Gmail first, so you don't have unnecessary contacts hanging around on your phone.

1. export all your contacts first into your SD
2. update to 2.1
3. sync gmail
4. import your contacts if they don't auto-sync within the first hour of updating to 2.1

--jkim

Ok
1) How do I back up my contacts to my sd card?
And 2) once I've done the update, can I just import them back onto my phone from there?

I really have no desire to mix my gmail contacts with my phone contacts because I use gmail just for storing email addresses & my phone for storing phone numbers.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem, my contacts won't sync with my gmail account. My calendar and gmail email sync fine, but nothing happens for contacts.

I didn't have a gmail acount before getting my Eris and added the contacts into my phone first. I wanted to sync to my account to save them before I update to 2.1 and lose them all. Any ideas or help?? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I'm having the same problem, my contacts won't sync with my gmail account. My calendar and gmail email sync fine, but nothing happens for contacts.

This seems to be a Google problem. Mine were syncing fine, but as of yesterday they aren't syncing. Keeps saying there is a problem. Calendar synced fine. Not sure what's happening with the contacts. I only have Google contacts (no phone contacts).

Upvote 0
I just fixed this exact problem after flashing a custom ROM- Gmail and Calendar synced fine but Contacts errored out.

Fix:
1. Online made sure all my contacts were intact (and exported for backup just in case).
2. On phone: Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/Contact Storage/Storage/Clear Data
3. by the time I got back to Settings/Accounts&Sync/Google, my Auto-sync had already begun syncing in all my contacts perfectly.

Reactions: BMF136 and lesk
Upvote 0
I just fixed this exact problem after flashing a custom ROM- Gmail and Calendar synced fine but Contacts errored out.

Fix:
1. Online made sure all my contacts were intact (and exported for backup just in case).
2. On phone: Settings/Applications/Manage Applications/Contact Storage/Storage/Clear Data
3. by the time I got back to Settings/Accounts&Sync/Google, my Auto-sync had already begun syncing in all my contacts perfectly.

I have been wrestling with syncing contacts for months and this worked. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones