• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contacts Won't Sync

PGB1213

May 20, 2016
Detroit
Hi All!
In my Android 5.1 with google's Contacts app, the contacts won't export. I always get the message that the SD card is full. The SD card is 32 GB and has 8.5 GB used, 31.2 free. There are about 200 contacts in my list. None have photos, so the v-card should be small enough to fit the SD card.

Nothing I've tried, including re-downloading the app has worked.

Next I tried syncing with Google. They won't sync. Everything on the Sync list syncs. Contacts won't sync. Ironically, Contacts is the only thing I wish to backup on this phone.

Do any of you know a fix for either of these problems? Or, can you suggest a good backup application which will get the contacts list?

Thanks Very Much,
Paul

Hi Ocnbrze & thank you for replying. I appreciate your help.
The phone is a ZTE Maven Z812.

Today, Contacts exporting is acting differently:
Instead of telling me the storage is full, it is exporting- but only one contact gets exported to the new v-card file.

Here Is The Step-By-Step
A) Open Google's Contacts app
B) Click the 3 vertical dots
C) Choose Import/Export
D) Choose Export To Storage
Note- During the exporting process, there is no prompt to allow me to choose any or all contacts.
E) A message pops up telling me the export will be at /sdcard/Contacts/00001.vcf
F) Click OK

Importing the vcf, only the very first contact is in the contacts list.
------------------------------------
PLAN B-
I turned on WiFi & let it connect to the network.
Then I turned on Sync in Settings.
Next I went to Settings - Accounts - Google and chose "Sync".
I then picked what to sync from a list (Such as Contacts, Calendar, Drive, etc)
Contacts looked like it was syncing (little spinning arrows), but...
After sync was finished, it said Last Synced 1/15/2019. (Today is 10-15-2019).
It also still said "Touch To Sync Now"

Checking on line at my Google account shows it did not sync today. The new contacts are not in the list.
the other things I chose during Sync did, indeed, sync.

It seems like Google and its app absolutely will not backup nor sync Contacts.
I'd sure like a backup of these incase my phone goes bad.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones