1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

contacts

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Hog883, Jan 16, 2016.

1. Hog883

Hog883 Lurker

Hi new to all this, can anyone help. I have a Samsung Note 4, & have created a few contacts. I need to edit some of them as did not get them right lol. I tap the edit icon but it wont allow me to do anything, what am I doing wrong ??.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member

Have you tried rebooting the Note 4 and trying the edit button again? Something seems to be hanging that button up.

tube517 likes this.
  3. Hog883

Hog883 Lurker

Done that still the same Thanks

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Let's see if I'm following you correctly. You open the contact, then tap the pencil icon for editing, and you don't see any editable fields come up? Screenshots would help us understand.

tube517 likes this.
  5. Hog883

Hog883 Lurker

Thanks for reply If I open the contact the name is there the number is there but cant edit. Could it be because of where I have saved it. Do I have to save to sim to be able to edit ??

6. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

You sh0uld be able to edit contacts regardless of where they are are saved. As chanchan05 said, some screenshots would really help. To take a screenshot press Power + Volume down simultaneously.

It's highly recommended to save contacts to your Google account. When saved as Google contacts, you have immediate, automatic backups. It's nearly impossible to lose your contacts. Even if you accidentally delete them, you can go online and restore them to any point they were at in the last 30 days. It also makes restoring or transferring your contacts to a new device very simple.

If you save contacts only to the phone just be sure to do manual backups and keep a copy somewhere other than on the phone in case of theft or loss of the phone.

Don't save contacts to the SIM. The option to save contacts to SIM cards is disappearing and no doubt will be gone completely in a year or two. Unlike other contacts options, SIM contacts can have names and numbers only - no email addresses, physical addresses, photos, birthdays, notes - none of the extra information most people like to be able to add. In short, SIM contacts is old, outdated technology that should not be considered a viable option.

All that said, again I highly recommend saving contacts to your Google account.

tube517 and Clementine_3 like this.
  7. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

When you select the contact look in the upper right corner, is there a little icon that is 3 dots? Click that to select edit.

And +1 on saving them Google.

tube517 likes this.
  8. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

You can't just open the contact and edit it there. You have to press the "pencil" icon as chan suggested and then you can edit.