• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Content lock Grrrrrrrrr

Gregory Lee

Lurker
Dec 31, 2018
Hi, I'm new here and I have an issue with the content lock on my LG G5 running Android 7.0 (3.10.84, NRD90U, V20g-EUR-XX).

I have looked around on the web for answers to my question already and cannot find the answer, TBH I don't know if there is one.

I have files protected by content lock on my device, whilst I was in Galery-Settings-Content lock, I selected my google account (which was previously unselected) as "the account that protects my locked files in the gallery" where as previously there was no account selected. There aren't any other accounts (google on not) showing which could be selected in the same place.

My problem is that now I have selected the google account, if I try to open the locked files I am shown a message reading "This file is locked by another Google account and cannot be opened."

I am unable to deselect the google account within the content lock settings, nor do I know of any other account/email address that my device seems to think that I was previously using. I have tried adding a different email address account (yahoo) in the content lock settings but am told that this account already exists on the device.

Any assistance or suggestions that do not require a factory reset of my device would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance of any help given.

Cheers Greg.

Hi again, I've tried looking at the files on a PC, when they are locked by the device they are encrypted and renamed, let's say the file is 12345.jpg, after encryption it is renamed 12345.jpg.dm. You can't just copy the file to the PC, remove the .dm extension and open it as the file info is scrambled during the encryption and is not readable unless it has been unlocked the correct way with the google account which locked it. This makes sence as there's a reason that the file was locked in the first place and if transferring it to a PC was a way round the security on the phone, any lost or stolen devices with sensitive info would be easily accessible by just putting it on a PC.

Cheers G.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones