• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Contract Credit check fail

THE ANDROID

Android Enthusiast
Nov 23, 2010
PlayStation Network
Hi guys. I'm new to this forum

I decided to take my first contract phone out ever. It was from dialaphone. HTC Desire HD on O2. I order and then it says credit check failed. I rang O2 and they dont know why.

I'm 19, at Manchester Uni, will be 20 in January. I don't have any credit cards but just 3 debit cards. I've never used 2 of them and I've never used any off my over draft on the card I use.
My friend in the same situation took out a contract perfectly fine. At a different uni and just the debit card. No credit cards.

Can any one help me as to why I can't take a contract but my friend who's 19 as well can?

Maybe your friend actually has some credit built up. Debit cards don't help your credit at all and having no credit is just as bad, if not worse, than having bad credit. Thats the only thing i can think of

No he hasn't, as I stated he's same age as me, he's more of a cheapskate than me, I actually buy stuff with my debit card whilst he never uses it and relies on other people to pay for him.

He has no credit history either. The only kind of loans I've took out is a Student Loan which every student does anyway.

Upvote 0
Hi, thanks for the replies, I signed upto Experian/CreditExperts and they say it's taking unusually long to process my application :S

The only things I've ever used my debit card is for ordering stuff online. My first ever purchase with my debit card was a PS3 back in 2007 and from then on games, TV's and other stuff.
All funded by own money from family.

I've usually took contract phones on my mums name but now I'm 19, I thought I could take one out by myself, not the case for me though.

Upvote 0
Debit cards dont mean anything really. It just shows as you have an open bank account. If you overdraft and let it sit and go to collections it will be bad.. but as you said that is not the case. Student loans if paid on time are not so bad either..

I would assume there is something wrong on the report. I got a phone at 18 with no cosign from Verizon, (who have one of the more strict credit checks,) with a very small deposit ($100,) and I already by that time I had let a store CC go to collections, had 2 other open CC that had a high balance. Did they say why it is taking so long?

Upvote 0
I only started uni this year so I'm not expected to pay the loans back until I leave uni. I have no idea about credit cards or collections. No i just filled in my details and it just said my credit check is taking longer than expected and they'll email me but it's been 3 days now so I assume something is wrong but what could it be?

I remember about 2 years ago just after my 18th birthday, I went to buy a watch, won't say what brand but it was very expensive and I asked to pay monthly but they wouldn't let me as of a problem so I paid the full price for the watch, I assume the problem has been since then? That would have been my first major purchase that I think would have required a credit check, I didn't think too much of it as I thought it was because I was young still.
I don't see why I should have a bad credit check and how do these credit checks work??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones