1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Contract up, it's decision time and M8 was top of list

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by saltire, Oct 3, 2014.

1. saltire

saltire Android Expert

.... until I saw and had a quick play with the Xperia Z3 Compact. Bit of a curve ball which I didn't see coming 'cos the one thing that is a slight negative for me is how smartphones keep creeping up in size. The compact size to me is just about perfect, and it retains all the specs of the big brother Z3 apart from the screen res and loosing some ram both of which I doubt I'd miss anyway. However, going for the Sony would mean either seriously curbing my flashing activities as currently no root without also unlocking the boot loader (which breaks some key things), or live with the things that break but might mean living with the phone for 2 years gets harder.

Now that S-Off is also sorted via Sunshine for the M8 I'm thinking this might prove a better bet for me but wanted to get some feedback from you folks on using the phone day to day. I'm coming from a SGS3 and originally thought it was big compared to my Desire but quickly got used to it - kind of assuming the M8 experience would be similar. So couple of keys things I'd like some feedback on:

1 - how is music playback quality

2 - how is the camera in real world use.

Man this was going to be such an easy decision until the bloody Z3 compact appeared! If I could trust myself to be able to sacrifice flashing stuff I'd go for it but I'm not sure I can - normal users have no idea how lucky they are to be able to choose a phone without having to check how much dev support a model gets!!

:thinking::thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi there,

im still lovin my m8 ..... although im now running viper rom ;)
    i find music playback on it v good - nice dual speakers, plus bt music to speaker or car works well
    i find the camera is very good - i think early issues about it were for low light shots ... by people that thought it was an slr :D

its a GREAT phone imo

cheers
    dan

saltire likes this.
  3. saltire

saltire Android Expert

Cheers Dan, I need to have a longer play with the M8 to get a proper feel for the size. How's the headphones music playback? Really use my phone for tunes and main reason for getting the SGS3 was for hardware (Wolfson DAC) and running Boeffla kernel to fully exploit the chip.

4. dan55

dan55 Android Expert

hi there,
    i find the music through cans good ... but then im no expert - i use either bose ie2s or sound magic es20s - these days im playing it through a sony bt phones adapter sgh20 unit - still sounds good to me :)

saltire likes this.
  5. saltire

saltire Android Expert

Went for M8 after spending ages in shop 😁 couple of questions on s-off / rooting but that's for a separate post.

HTC One M8 Forum

The HTC One M8 release date was March 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.0" inch screen, 4MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2600mAh battery.

March 2014
Release Date
Reviews