• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Controlling Facebook Launch of m.facebook.com vs. touch.facebook.com?

scudder

Android Expert
May 21, 2010
State of Confusion (FL too)
Hello...

I'm not sure if the Facebook app and use of m.facebook.com or touch.facebook.com is different for different phone but, if so, I am using an EVO.

Pretty much 95% of the time I use the Facebook app on my phone as it give me enough information and abilities to do what I usually need to do. Occasionally, while following a link in the app, my browser is launched taking me to the other Facebook connections, either m.facebook.com or touch.facebook.com.

My question is this: is there any rhyme or reason why m. or touch. is launched?? It seems that sometimes m. is launched and other times touch. is launched and I'm trying to figure out if there is a reason? Whether it is random or certain content is associated with m. or touch.? Or if there are settings or the ability to control which site is launched??

Thanks!!

I thought i read on how they are merging the two sites into one mobile site. If i go to touch.facebook.com on my dell streak 7 or hd2, i get forwarded to m.facebook.com now. It looks a bit different than the m.facebook.com and touch.facebook page too.

Interesting...but any way to control which site a link from the app sends you?? Or is it random/predetermined if you get sent to m. or touch. ??

Upvote 0
I think it's controlled on Facebook's end. When your handset IDs itself to Facebook, it makes the call to what website you're redirected to. You might have better luck with a different browser that gives you control over how it identifies itself to websites.

I'm using Dolphin HD. Should/does that browser have that capability?

Upvote 0
The stock one. I do most of my social networking through tweetdeck. It streamlines everything into one timeline, and allows me access to wall posts and twitter mentions in addition to the status updates, and leaves me COMPLETELY out of things like quizzes or Zynga games. Outside of approving friend requests, it largely meets what I need.

Reactions: scudder
Upvote 0
Hope someone can help me. I had touch facebook on my Incredible then I had to go to VZ store for a problem the guy took out my battery now I can't get touch.facebook.com back it keeps going to m.facebook.com which I really don't like.Went back to the VZ store again with the problem and now I'm not getting my facebook notification alert on my Incredible..help!!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones