• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help conversion of .sbf file for contacts in SonyXperia

ramani66

Lurker
Sep 9, 2011
Hi,

Before updating Sony Xperia 2.3.3, I have done backup of contacts, messages and call logs. After updating, I am not able to retreive the backup data. I have stored valuable contacts in the SD card. Is it possible to open the .sbf file on my computer or laptop, instead of downloading an application from the market directly to phone and get into trouble with the mobile phone. However the data is on SD card, using a special software or available software to open the data file in the computer to enable us to note the contacts or print the contacts.

Regards,

Ramani

Hi,

Before updating Sony Xperia 2.3.3, I have done backup of contacts, messages and call logs. After updating, I am not able to retreive the backup data. I have stored valuable contacts in the SD card. Is it possible to open the .sbf file on my computer or laptop, instead of downloading an application from the market directly to phone and get into trouble with the mobile phone. However the data is on SD card, using a special software or available software to open the data file in the computer to enable us to note the contacts or print the contacts.

Regards,

Ramani

SBF is system-behavior-function. It is like flashing your entire phone to the way it is out-of-the-box, including system files, boot loader, and kernel for a particular system version.

System only SBFs only cover the system files and can only be used on a phone that already has the matching bootloader and kernel versions for that system version to restore the system files on the phone.

You created an image on of your phone on 2.1...it made that SBF file. You are now at 2.3.

You did it wrong....but....there is an app.

Search for Backup and Restore. Sony Ericsson | Backup & Restore

Or here is the file - http://www.elita-clan.com/downloads/backup_and_restore_v010935.apk

If you use that app, you should be able to do it.

Next time use Backup and Sync and Sync your contacts online using your gmail account. Or a Sony account

Reactions: Thouoji
Upvote 0
thank you for the answer.. I did the same thing as the first person :(
I have tried the link to install the backup/restore (I had this app and backed up b4 the update.. so I thought I did :( ) anyhow I have tried to install the app again as per your suggestion and it wont install :thinking: so I saved the file as per ur link to my phone but I dont know how to open the files or what to do :(:(:( ?? Please help me? I really need to be able to open the last back up I did and restore those files..
Thank u

Upvote 0
Hi,

Do you know how to perform this action without the use of a Sony Ericsson device? I drowned my Xperia X10 Mini Pro and now have a Samsung Galaxy S II, with only the .sbf file as a backup of my contacts. I have already tried installing the .apk but it responds "This application can only be used on a Sony Ericsson phone", and my contacts are not synced with Google.

Cheers

Upvote 0
Hi,

Do you know how to perform this action without the use of a Sony Ericsson device? I drowned my Xperia X10 Mini Pro and now have a Samsung Galaxy S II, with only the .sbf file as a backup of my contacts. I have already tried installing the .apk but it responds "This application can only be used on a Sony Ericsson phone", and my contacts are not synced with Google.

Cheers

The SBF file is not just contacts. It backs other stuff up.

Next time do not backup using an SBF file.

No suggestion on what you can do. I don't think buying an app from the Market that will allow you to restore a SBF backup, will work.

Find an x10....or other Sony phone (or borrow one) and then restore the data....then do a real backup of the contacts.

Are you sure that the SBF file even contains your contacts?

Apparently there are a bunch of different types of SBF files:

xda-developers - View Single Post - Noob's Guide to a Droid X

Upvote 0
I have just been through this proces, and it recovered most of my contacts from the Backup and Restore file that I created prior to upgrading to 2.3 from 1.6

Root the device ( i used superoneclick )

Download and install the Backup and Restore app (easiest is to do from PC then copy to SD card, and use a file manager on the phone to access and install it)

Make a fresh backup using Backup and Restore, give it an obvious file name ( I will use XXXXXX as an example here )

Go to the file on the SD card on your PC, make a copy of the file in the same folder, which should be named XXXXXX-Copy .

Delete the original of this new backup file, then rename the old pre-upgrade backup file XXXXXX.

Disconnect the USB, re-open the Backup and Restore app

You should see 2 backup files, the 'new' XXXXXX (the now renamed pre 2.3 one) and the XXXXXX-Copy.

Restore the XXXXXX file, and most of the data should now be in your 2.3 phone

Upvote 0
SBF is system-behavior-function. It is like flashing your entire phone to the way it is out-of-the-box, including system files, boot loader, and kernel for a particular system version.

System only SBFs only cover the system files and can only be used on a phone that already has the matching bootloader and kernel versions for that system version to restore the system files on the phone.

You created an image on of your phone on 2.1...it made that SBF file. You are now at 2.3.

You did it wrong....but....there is an app.

Search for Backup and Restore. Sony Ericsson | Backup & Restore

If you use that app, you should be able to do it.

Next time use Backup and Sync and Sync your contacts online using your gmail account. Or a Sony account

Hello,

i have a really big problem with my Xperia Neo V android phone...i wanted to reset my phone to the factory settings and before reset i used the same software you had recomended (backup and restore).

1st step: I'd installed this program and made the backup file named allineed.sbf.
2nd step: reset my phone to factory's setting
3rd step: i've installed back backup and restore program, but when i open it and try to restore my data i get this error: "COuld not restore data"

What should i do guys? All my contacts, messanges, all everything is in that .sbf file and i can't use it anymore! Why did i get that error message?

HELP! :-<<<

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones