• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Convert solar lamp to electric?

UPDATE: she's indoors now and has no access to sunlight!

I have a beautiful fairy lamp that's been in my yard for years. It lights up, powered by a solar panel. Well, it *did* light up, back before the elements, careless people, and various other things broke it. The lamp itself is fine, but it just doesn't light up any more; right now, the battery box (on the bottom) is hanging open, and I can see some wires but can't really tell if they're still connected to anything at the other end.

What I'm wondering is if there's any chance of converting this to an electric lamp? Before...in another life...I'd buy stuff at Michael's to make all kinds of things myself--fountains, with or without lighting, you name it. So I know from experience that small electrical sets are available for all kinds of projects, I just don't know what I'd need for this. I'd like to simply convert it so the solar panel and battery box are gone, and it uses electricity instead.

Is this doable? I mean in my senile, decrepit, horrible eyesight current condition?! :D

It's funny, but as I've been typing this, it's started to look a lot easier than I thought. I was assuming I'd have to use its existing wiring--now connected to batteries powered by a solar panel. But, really, I could just yank that all out, right? And insert a new bulb set, like using a small candelabra-type bulb inside the globe, and the power cord sticking out underneath?

Here's what she looked like while still in good health, day and night (the colors continuously changed):

fairy_day.jpg

fairy_night.jpg

Last edited:
The original solar panel and batteries indicate it started life as a DC system vs AC. The original lamp could be supplied with a converter that would convert 110 ac to whatever dc current the lamp requires.
Replacing the lamp with an AC lamp if you can find one that will not produce so much heat that it melts your ornament will be difficult.

I'm only guessing, that to not strain the solar panel/battery supply, the fixture is a LED. That would also explain the changing of colors. They draw very little current and produce nothing for heat. Most all LED lighting is DC.

Before trying to reinvent the wheel. I'd check to see if the current system is reparable. The weakest link in that system is the batteries. They are being trickle charged by the solar panel and as you know... batteries do not last forever. It might also be as simple as cleaning the battery contacts for they may have corroded to the point where they no longer complete the circuit. A new solar panel could likely be had but would need the correct output to charge the batteries. Another problem could likely be the board that changes the color of the LEDs. The least likely culprit will be the LEDs. They are rated for an amazing amount of cycles and is very likely not the problem.

Upvote 0
You also have to make sure that whatever modifications you make will be safe for outdoor use.
So very true!!! AC outside in the elements is a dangerous prospect and should be on a GFIC at the very least. I almost lost my mother to electrocution many decades ago before there were interrupts with a faulty circuit to a shallow well pump. Dangerous.....

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
OH GOODNESS!! I'm such an idiot!! I forgot to say the single most important reason I want to convert this to using an electric cord: she's inside now!! With no access to sunlight.

I had all my fairy garden stuff moved from the patio into my bedroom, where I recently placed a new console table along the wall where my computer desk used to be. That's going to be her new home. If I can't figure out how to make her light up any more, I'm okay with her just sitting there as is, but lighting would be nice.

Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
The original solar panel and batteries indicate it started life as a DC system vs AC. The original lamp could be supplied with a converter that would convert 110 ac to whatever dc current the lamp requires.
Replacing the lamp with an AC lamp if you can find one that will not produce so much heat that it melts your ornament will be difficult.

As I'm looking at it, I don't see any materials that could melt (or burn), although the glass I suppose could burst if I used an ultra-high watt bulb! But I'm thinking a 4W or 7W candelabra bulb.

I'm only guessing, that to not strain the solar panel/battery supply, the fixture is a LED. That would also explain the changing of colors. They draw very little current and produce nothing for heat. Most all LED lighting is DC.

I got a better look at the wires. The one I thought was just hanging there loose is actually the part that has a TINY little light bulb at the end. I mean tiny, like a couple of millimeters. It's connected to the battery box. The only other wire I see is still intact. The little bulb [normally] pokes up through a hole (about an inch wide) at the bottom of the glass globe. I'm thinking I could slide a tiny candelabra bulb through that hole instead; I have a whole collection of light bulbs with different size bases and watts, because of all the novelty lights I have. Just from having used those over the years, I'm sure one would fit into this hole.

So listen to my plan as I'm thinking right now: go ahead and rip out all of its guts--the wiring, the battery box/solar panel, the light bulb at the end of one wire, the whole works. Then find a kit that's electric--kind of like the submersible lights I used to have in my pond--where one end of the cord has a bulb socket, the other end goes to its power source which gets plugged in. Then put a very low wattage bulb in. I don't care about changing colors.

I'm looking on Michael's and can't find anything like what I used to buy there all the time. And searching on Amazon is a headache-inducing nightmare. Any ideas what search terms to use to find what I need?!

Upvote 0
I'm glad I posted because it got my [few remaining functioning] brain cells working. I think I've found the answer!

I called Michael's and a very nice person listened patiently as I tried to explain what I was doing. She kindly told me that they don't have anything like that, but she pointed me in the right direction--hardware supplies. A very quick search on Amazon yielded this Christmas light set, but look at it! It's perfect! It's as simple as can be. Whether I buy that one or something different, I can have various colors if I want to and it should work out great. Am I missing anything? :thinking:

ETA: I ended up ordering this. I think it will be perfect!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I searched on Amazon for single fixture 4w light and found this. I was thinking along the lines of a Christmas light...

Good grief.... just followed your link and we were on the same page. :)
We're often on the same page--just not necessarily LITERALLY!! :D

What's funny is that I *just* bought a box of 7W E12 base candelabra bulbs, for some new table lamps I added to my bedroom. They're Tiffany-style lamps, and the bases use a 7W E12 bulb, while the top parts take two 60W regular bulbs. So I already have a supply in case I need them. :)

Upvote 0
The light kit came this afternoon. Luckily, my contractor was here to drill a larger hole in the bottom, as the existing hole's placement made it impossible to maneuver the bulb into it. Here's the finished product!

fairy_freshly_lit_up_again_2.jpg

I'm very happy with the result. If I wanted to, I could use colored bulbs, or even color-changing bulbs, but I think I like her just the way she is.

I haven't arranged my fairy garden pieces exactly as I want them yet. It had been 5 years since I'd even seen them. The weather took its toll on some of their finishes, but nothing that a little model paint can't touch up. Besides, now I have an excuse to start *buying* fairy garden products again! :D Before I got sick, I had this elaborate plan my handyman was going to build out for me, on the patio, which would've allowed for years and years of adding pieces without running out of space. Now I'm limited by the real estate on my console table, but that's probably a good thing, right? :)

Upvote 0
I am glad you have your fairy light working too, I almost went up there, like a few days or so back to pick up some art supplies, I might consider o do like a different mediumn, maybe clay with a easel, and just have a pop up artwork, photograph it.. but what would the paint would look like underneath it? Hmmm... I too was thinking oddly enough of a fantasy type thing..

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones