1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Converting a Rhyme

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by oblivion_uk, Feb 11, 2016.

1. oblivion_uk

oblivion_uk Lurker

I have an old HTC Rhyme that my wife used before upgrading to an LG a couple of years ago.

Rather than leave it to gather dust in a drawer, I thought I could maybe I could use it for something. Like maybe a bluetooth MP3 player...

So I can do that. Not difficult -- a decent-sized memory card and a pair of bluetooth headphones and it's done. Add VLC to the equation so I can do playlists and who needs an iPod anyway? ;)

Thing is, it takes a while to start up because it's got an unregistered SIM in it and it thinks it wants to be a phone. (It's also locked to a network, which might or might not be relevant.)

So is there any way to make it JUST be an MP3 player? Or at least make it bypass all the phone-ish stuff it thinks it has to do while it's booting up?

If I try to root it (not something I have any experience in at all) will that help?

Am I wasting my time? ;)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

Set it into flight mode... Then turn on Bluetooth or WiFi.

And/or remove the sim card

3. oblivion_uk

oblivion_uk Lurker

Thanks, but unfortunately flight mode also disables bluetooth (oddly, wifi can be turned back on but bluetooth can't.)

The first startup without a SIM was still really slow but subsequent restarts are much faster, so that's definitely a help :) I think that'll do it!

One followup question, though: surely Basil Brush was never anywhere near Dr Who...? ;)

psionandy likes this.
  4. psionandy

psionandy Extreme Android User

Ahh... Must be something specific to that phone... As I can do it with my Samsung Note II (which makes and excellent Bluetooth music player)

As for Basil... In the 1970s members of the Doctor cast regularly appeared on his show.. Personally I'm just waiting for him to replace capaldi.... ;)

#4 psionandy, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016

HTC Rhyme Forum

The HTC Rhyme release date was October 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1600mAh battery.

October 2011
Release Date
Reviews