• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Converting Anime to playable format? (.MKV to .???)

Piercing Heavens

Mar 31, 2010
The only video I have is anime in HD from torrents. All recent and current anime is encoded in HD Format H.264 under .MKV

I have tryed converting these files to .avi or .mp4 but they always lose the subtitles in the process. Any one knowledgeable enough to provide some input please.

Also what is a good *free* video converter and what would be the desired resolution and audio qualities I should be converting to?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

I don't have an X yet, but I'm hoping since it's advertized as being DLNA compliant I'll be able to plug it into my windows 7 machine and have Windows Media Player convert anything to a format playable on the X. Do your mkv's play in WMP?

If that doesn't work I'll load up Twonky on my WHS and transcode them from there.

Upvote 0
The MKV container has the ability to store a subtitle file separately from the video and audio. AVI and mp4 do not. You will have to burn-in the subtitles onto the actual video and then convert (meaning the subs are a part of the actual video instead of being a separate file).

Upvote 0
The MKV container has the ability to store a subtitle file separately from the video and audio. AVI and mp4 do not. You will have to burn-in the subtitles onto the actual video and then convert (meaning the subs are a part of the actual video instead of being a separate file).
this is why DLNA might not work with subtitles unless its hardcoded

I tried this with my PS3

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones