1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Converting txt to multimedia message, why?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chuck-sc, Oct 4, 2011.

1. chuck-sc

chuck-sc Newbie
    None

Jul 28, 2011
    Charleston, SC
    Sometimes when I'm writting a txt message it will start saying converting to multimedia message. It is not because it has any attachments or because it is too long, it justcomes out of the blue. Even if i delete up to where the message appeared, it will go off but then come back again. Does anyone know why???

Advertisement

2. primetech

primetech Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 5, 2011
    I can't give you a straight answer for this, except one of two (maybe 3) things is happening:

1. The message is too long. Messaging gets into a funk and sometimes doesn't convert it back.
    2. The message has a special character that requires MMS. (Sending it as SMS would make your message look really funky.
    3. You specified an attachment, title, or something else very SMS-ey.
    I would recommend GO SMS or a similar app to help you keep your SMS's as SMS and not MMS. it deals with the above in the following ways:

1. It comes with an option to auto-split long messages. This option isn't enabled by default, and until you DO enable it, it will fail on long messages.
    2. A character count is automatically displayed. If it shrinks too rapidly, you've probably entered a weird special character. I'm not always sure why this happens, but it's occurred with me and the latest Swype a few times.
    3. GO MMS offers its own special uploading service that inserts your attachments as links. Very convenient if you don't like MMS, or don't want to trust Virgin Mobile with your media.

chuck-sc likes this.