1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Convince me to go GB...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by McLabia, Jun 9, 2011.

1. McLabia

McLabia Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Working...
    City of Sharks to the City of Live Music!
    So, Ive been on the fence about going GB since the first radio leak dropped. I was glad that I skipped it at first because of the bricking issues, but from how things seem now, other than Virus not having a rom out for GB, I dont have much good reason not to go GB. So now I ask what are the benefits of GB over Froyo? Is GB really that much better than froyo? Is the battery life really THAT much better? Convince me!

Advertisement

2. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Male
    Programmer
    Columbia, SC
    I have not seen better battery life unless I shut LTE down.
    Netflix works on GB? :D

It's up to you... but I am on GB and loving it.
    I am running das bamf myself.

McLabia likes this.
  3. McLabia

McLabia Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Working...
    Nice. I would love to get great battery life. lol. As far as Netflix goes, I could careless. Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum if you catch my drift. lol.

Eh@bamf. Ive been looking at Theory of Ginger till Virus drops a GB rom.

4. McLabia

McLabia Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Working...
    Also, what apps arent working with GB as of now? I remember when the bolt came out Juice Defender wasnt working even though froyo was out already.

5. WBMc36

WBMc36 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Full time student
    Pittsburgh/Erie
    I wouldn't move to gingerbread until cyanogenmod 7 is out of the alpha stage and starts onto the nightlies. If you don't want sense IMO it is the best rom out there full of features and extras as well as being fast, stable, and gives great battery life once it progresses towards a stable version.
    If you want a sense version of gingerbread, not a whole lot will change if you switch. Mostly behind the scenes stuff.

McLabia likes this.
  6. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    I personally hated GB so I'm still on froyo, too. I'm not a sense fan, use LP+ and widgetlocker religiously so there was really nothing I was gaining from being on GB other than being on the newest version of Android. I also HATED the notification pull down and those tabs for notifications and settings with a passion!!

GrandMasterB and McLabia like this.
  7. McLabia

McLabia Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Working...
    I run Virus' Airborne with the bamf desense. I like certain elements of sense, but over all I dislike it more than I like specific things. I run GOLauncher in favor of LPP because of how bad LPP has performed on my phone. Constant lag, reboots, FCs and overall poor app with zero update or thought to it(so it seems) by the dev.

Honestly? I just want better battery life and cleaner running with the ability to use wifi again. lol.

Ive been peeking in on CM7, but to be honest the "Pre release pre alpha" tag is a bit off putting for me. This is my first droid and Im still learning.

8. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    I'm been lurking in the CM7 thread lately, as well. I keep LTE off 99.9% of the time so that's not an issue. The GPS and loss of data is, though. Plus, I hate having to jump through hoops to get a ROM working. I use my phone for work as well as fun so I need something 100% stable. When I ran Cyagonen on my Inc I really liked it, but I always felt like it was missing something and kept going back to my senseless backup.

9. retiredberry

retiredberry Member
    None

Apr 29, 2010
    PM
    Somewhere very close to you
    I really like the bamf gingerremix. The recently released radio with this rom seems flawless to me. Definitely a daily driver. I too use my phone for work and play and need something stable. I rarely comment on these forums but until Virus updates his work, this rom rocks and I have had zero problems with LPP.

GPS locks instantly, charging time is fine, zero reboots and Netflix is working. Bluetooth volume even seems better. I also love the look. The notification drop down sucks but just give it a little time it will be tweaked.

Just my .02.

P.S. no grammar police please. On my phone- on a forum- at night--I don't care.

10. HTCThunderbolt

None

Feb 20, 2011
    Need one :(
    Concord NC
    I like GB. With the new released radio that came out a couple of days ago I get GPS locks in 3 seconds... No random reboots. I have been on my phone all day since 8am and am just now at 26 percent. LTE was on too

Edit: Plus the lockscreen is bad ass. I'm using gineritis with elegant blues btw :-D

11. WBMc36

WBMc36 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 1, 2010
    Full time student
    Pittsburgh/Erie
    Yeah I haven't been following it for the thunderbolt as I am running the stable on my Inc right now. The pre alpha is definitely not ready to be a daily driver and it probably wont be until after a month or so of nightlies to work out all the major issues.
    After cyanogen goes stable I'm switching to it on my bolt. For starters rooting and the new sense will keep me occupied until a decent version comes out and the major issues are fixed.

12. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    *shrug* guess im just lucky? gps locks on right away for me-within a second or less. transition from 3g to wifi is seemless,no issues whatsoever. i never lose data(no LTE here yet-set on 3g),and bluetooth works just fine.

i have ZERO funcitonality complaints about slayers latest pre alpha.

the only issue i have is crappy battery,wich will prolly remain until RIL gets 100% sorted out.

this latest one,however,has put my battery life on par with the GB leaks,so there is no reason for me not to run it daily anymore.

im currently on th3oryOfGinger cause i wanted to test the new radio,and also was curious about SWAP. ill be back on cm7 in a day or 2,tho :cool:

13. stanlalee

stanlalee Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    netflix
    CM7 or Sense 3.0 features (lockscreen, weather ect)
    netflix
    netflix

14. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Banking
    Milwaukee
    Im still on the fence about whether im going to keep running gingerbread or not.

It runs smooth, no problems, gps is instant but it was still quick on froyo and theres about 100mb worth of crap i dont use with the current GB ROMs.

Im thinking i might just stick with GB for the time being since ive been getting the best battery life yet and theres nothing wrong with it, just so much stuff i have no use for. All the weather stuff and the lock screen is disabled so really, whats the point? All the sense stuff just seems to get in the way now that ive become accustomed to a mostly vanilla experience.

I think once Stripped is modified to work with MR2 be heading back to froyo, unless we get a GB stripped prior.

15. McLabia

McLabia Android Expert
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Male
    Working...
    I dont really like sense and I dont use netflix. lol.

16. stanlalee

stanlalee Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 20, 2010
    Then u really arent missing a damn thing lol.

The CM7 rom though is much lighter and easier on memory. I ALWAYS have 250-300mb free all the time. With sense I'm lucky to have 100mb free without autokiller. With adw ex its fast and smooth too.

17. Ibrick

Ibrick Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Banking
    Milwaukee
    This thread convinced me to go back to Froyo. I like Stripped too much, and since thatdudebutch said something big is coming in the next couple weeks for froyo users that sealed the deal.