• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

convince me to keep android

athlaig

Oct 22, 2008
Maybe its the G1 more than android itself, but I am increaslingly gettign frustrated with the performance of both. I have a phone in mint condition never been dropped, never downloaded malicious or potential malicious software......and my phones performance blows. I had to turn off the auto rotate because it takes from 5-10 seconds, before i turned that off i would physically have to shut off the phone. the default browser started to be buggy and slow down the phone so i went to steel and while performance of that is better than the stock browser it seems my phone is still slowing everything down. I wonder if i got a processor gone bad but i am not sure. If so i do have insurance but is tmobile going to cover that and send me a new phone or ef me.

Any suggestions or other help would be greatly appreciated because i am either going to switch back to a blackberry once tmobile gets a good one or go to the dark side and get an iphone and crappy att service

Going back to a blackberry would be just that: going back(wards).

It seems to me that a lot of the Android faithful are using G1's to great effect - and so maybe yours just needs a spring clean. Sounds like it's a clagged up to me. As the above poster said: free memory? Do you use taskiller?
Going to an iPhone would make you a homosexual, and that's fine if you like that kind of thing - not so good if you don't. ;)

Upvote 0
Athlaig, I feel your pain. I've got the new mytouch, and well, the preformance just sucks. I'm starting to miss my 8900. I like the platform, not so sure the hardware is up to snuff. I'm holding out for the next update to see if it makes some improvements. It kills me that you need an app to keep your phone running smoothly.

Upvote 0
I had very similar performance for a while, including taking so long to get to the home screen so I could run taskiller that I got bored and whacked the battery out. I uninstalled some applications I'd never used and the phone perked up immediately, and despite installing a whole load more applications, it's never gone back to being that slow. It seems one of the apps I'd installed then uninstalled was the cause but I have no way of telling which one it was I'm afraid. Some applications can just kill your phone performance, and it can be hard telling which ones it is. The latest version of Astro File Manager might help as it appears to show a realtime readout of how much CPU time each app is taking, although it's a fairly basic screen and not wonderfully useful, does anyone know of an app that can profile your phone over say the last minute and tell you which apps are sucking the most CPU/memory in that time?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones