• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Cool Android Apps for Galaxy

Hawklord

Sep 5, 2009
Well for me Android really fell off the edge of a cliff in the last 6mts as a "single platform across all devices". Anyway whilst we whinge in other threads and some kind souls try and fix it I thought might be good to have a thread for Apps which DO work well in Android :) ... after all wherever we are or arent in the development curve the user experience can be really transformed by a neat App ;-)

As well as the old favourites I came across recently:

[1.5/K4]

Speaker Shake - really neat - you pick up the phone shake it and it answers a call with the speaker phone on :cool:

Dolphin Browser - havent sussed out the really neat gesture controls yet but do like how it downloads youtubes no prob for viewing when offline.

... and somehow I had missed Fring (thanks guys) which seems to work real good (and ebuddy in passing)

H

ebuddy is cool, find if you have on in default mode and not the battery saving (15min updates which is pointless) it will dreain the battery @ 5% ph

dolphon browser is nice

my fave app is websharing. it allows you to connect to the wifi router and with a password you can browse your phone from a pc and upload/download files to it.

orb player is also really really cool. stream over wifi from your pc
ive been watching avi/xvid streams from my pc to my handheld in the living room while the wife was watching emmerdale.
its a little gitchy as it tries to push it in highdef but ive not found a movie it doesnt stream

Upvote 0
for orb player to work your PC needs to be logged into orb.com, right? vlc streams to phone via wifi without internet connection...

YouTube - VLC Video Streaming to Android (HTC Magic)

To add something to thread, did you know that with "ES File Explorer" you can browse windows shares without any client software on PC.

Probably someone don't know about "wake on lan" feature on PC, you can wake your PC via android app and then start music on PC or stream to phone with gmote or vlc remote....

Upvote 0
some of my favs:

• :) swiftp for browsing the phone contents from the pc over wifi (you can also do so over the internet)

:) and es file explorer (which andronix already mentioned) for vice versa

:) calwidget for awesome calendar widgets

:) tone picker for using mp3s as ringtones/notifications/alarms (could really use a search function tho')

:) contacts evolved is my replacement of choice for quick contact access with pictures

:) tea timer for a pizza alarm

:) glowing pear for a led flashlight

:) transdroid for adding that torrent i forgot to get in the morning on my pc's queue

Upvote 0
for orb player to work your PC needs to be logged into orb.com, right? vlc streams to phone via wifi without internet connection...

To add something to thread, did you know that with "ES File Explorer" you can browse windows shares without any client software on PC.

Probably someone don't know about "wake on lan" feature on PC, you can wake your PC via android app and then start music on PC or stream to phone with gmote or vlc remote....
yeah you do andronix.
after the issues and wierd codec problems i had using vlc on a few of my machines i refuse to install it
i use kmplayer for everything on the pc

Upvote 0
how could you have codec problems with vlc?
the thing doesn't need any 3rd party codecs
it modifies some of the external fdsshow codecs that are on the machine
it messed up playback on certain files so that it was pink when played unless opened in another media player first
when removed everything was fine.
im not imaging it, it happened on multiple machines although it was quite some time ago i used it. it maybe better now but i didnt like the fact it corrupted a load of stuff on my machine

Upvote 0
Actually I find "video player" very useful as it can play mp4s i copy from pc no prob (unlike the native apps).

Dont think watching too many hours of vids is good for the battery tho'.

Have also found [and here the good thing about single-platform comments (unlike in marketplace where feedback alternates on most things between "rubbish doesnt work" and "brilliant - flawless" :D)] that if I leave it running and then lock the screen (K4 anyway) I cant unlock it sometimes ... today eg I ended up having to shut the galaxy down to get out of that trap.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones